1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SID: "We're not claiming to be journalists."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Mar 30, 2011.

1. This.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The media is quickly becoming less and less relevant to the SID's job.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Because it's a FUCKING PERFECT GAME!

If GW won a rain-shortened game which was stopped in the 8th inning because the opposing pitcher was struck and killed by lightning, would they forget that little detail also?

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't know why. Apparently we have to point out to some SIDs that a guy threw a perfect game.

5. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Reminds of a joke someone once told me to illustrate the difference between getting the facts right and being accurate.

A Soviet and American race against each other. American wins. Soviet news agency reports:

"Their guy finished next to last. Our guy finished a close second."

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Why not?

I'm not saying that all journalists need it. I'm saying that it IS part of a sports information department's job. And I think they've gone way too far on the side of only reporting one side of a game. I mean, it gets a little comical after a while, as in this instance.

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Three words: State-run media.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Truth is, they AREN'T journalists, and they can put whatever the fuck they want in their press releases that, technically, nobody reads.

I don't know why people are making a mountain out of this molehill.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I don't think anyone is making a mountain out of it. It's not as if any outlet that should make note of the perfect game would miss it because of this. It's more amusing than anything.

10. jr/shotglass

I'd be very curious to know if the GW sports information department has been clued in to the reaction to this story, and if so, their reaction to the criticism.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"We're not claiming to be journalists" was their reaction.

12. jr/shotglass

Man, that's just too simple.

They're working to get their school's material in the paper. Why would they NOT try a journalistic approach? Proclamations that they're not journalists arenot in their best interest, and they don't best serve the interest of their "customers."

Draft saved Draft deleted