1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sid the Kid hits it out of the park

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bagelchick, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I know a guy who played high school hockey against Matt Stairs in Fredericton. Said he was a damn good player, tough too. He's another guy that could raise hell in a bench-clearing brawl in a ball game.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Learned in a conversation recently with some diehard fans that Hall of Fame pitcher Ferguson Jenkins of Chatham, Ont., felt pretty much the same way. He'd have rather played hockey.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And then there's Joey Votto who lived in the Centre of the Centre of the Hockey Universe in Mimico and NEVER played hockey.

To paraphrase Ray Liotta,"As far back as I can remember, I alway wanted to be a ballplayer"

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm always surprised to come across a Canadian-born baseball player who didn't play hockey. Recently I found out Jeff Francis was more of a soccer player than a hockey player as a kid.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Stairs still coaches hockey at John Bapst High School outside of Bangor, Maine, where he lives. At least he did two years ago. Pretty sure he's still filling his time in the offseason on the ice.

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/94092.html

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Hi, this is Matt Stairs, calling in tonight's results ..."

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

With the cost of hockey getting into the ridiculous nowadays, I think you will see more of this in the future.

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

That's why I never played. Parents said I could play volleyball, tennis, baseball, basketball, track and field, soccer, bowling and squash... or hockey. Easy choice.

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Canadian joke:

Crosby hits the ball 360 feet ... and some guy out west will tell you Gilbert Brule hit 410 over the centerfield wall.

YHS, etc

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Steve Simmons is reporting Phil Kessel hit the ball 370 feet.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I watched the video. Sid has a pretty good swing. How many NHL guys could do that...well, except for Gordie Howe?

I wonder how far Patrick Kane could hit it--even if Toews threw it to him underhand? Pop up to second base? :)

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

He clearly hits it just 20 feet.

Draft saved Draft deleted