1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sid the Kid has two goals and two assists in Pens 5-0 win. 1st game in 11 months

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 21, 2011.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry, but what are you basing your intense dislike on? Your interviews with him? Did you have a bad experience covering him?

I've heard lots of things about Sid but unlikable is not one of them.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I understand it, he's a Red Wing fan. They played 2 hard fought Stanley Cup Finals. It is natural for a Red Wing fan to dislike him. My problem becomes when the dislike impairs your actual view of him as a player. He is the best player in the league and it's not close.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The upside is that we don't have to listen to those stupid comparables between him and Ovechkin any more

Too bad guys like Hall, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins play in the Canadian wilderness.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That is a pregame interview, not that it really matters. Your points still remain.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Right. Because obviously Crosby's never done nothing in the best interests of promoting the game.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

What does that have to do with this? You have networks there, you have the NHL getting attention it never gets in November, and people can't get an interview because it would disrupt his "routine?" This isn't a junior tournament in Saskatoon.

If he wants to be superstitious, let him wear his lucky socks. This was a fucked up situation that should have been handled better. As noted previously, it inconvenienced his teammates as much as it did the media.

Saw some postgame clips and he was at a podium with a sponsor's backdrop. I presume he was in an interview room, where people could get a clear shot and plug into a mult box. I'll bet he doesn't "routinely" go to an interview room after the game, right?

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Couple things:

*The timeline had a lot to do with the craziness of the story. Think about it -- we know Crosby is getting close, they're updating his status the day before every game. All of a sudden, you get an email at 3 pm Sunday saying he's playing the next night. It's impossible not to have an orgasm of emotion. He's your sport's best and most marketable player. All of a sudden, the Penguins have 250 media requests. It's like Jordan's first comeback in 1995. He sent a fax (as the narrative goes) and was playing a few days later. Imagine what that would have been like in this media age -- even more insane than this.

*I've been asked a lot today whether or not Canadians overreacted to this story. My reaction is: probably, but who cares? We don't need to apologize for it. He's a national superstar, the best and most important player in a sport we are ridiculously crazy about. Fourteen per cent of the country watched at some point last night. It's news.

*There's another factor here, too: his injury. Concussions are such a huge deal right now in a contact-heavy sport. Last night wasn't just about a return. For me (and I think a lot of others), there was a real curiosity factor; a sense of, "How is he going to be? Is he going to shy away from hitting?" which would be a major story because he, more than many other NHL players, uses contact to create offence. You know the old line about people who watch car races for the crashes? No doubt some people watched to see if he got hit.

*I was stunned he didn't go to the podium in the morning as he did after the game. (Generally, the Pittsburgh pr staff did a great job over the past two weeks.) Crosby is generally helpful to the media. We've had a lot of good experiences with him. But he has a routine and he rarely varies from it, especially if they win. This is not unusual for this team, because Lemieux (even now) was much tougher to get to do things, and they let him have his way, too.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well said. Especially the second point.

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

That's how it should be. No one gives a crap about Crosby or the NHL. And of course Crosby is a nice talent, but let's remember the Pens were in first place without him.

I suppose this thread is important to the four or five people who care about the NHL, and if so, then it does serve a purpose. It's a big story to a very select group of people.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Yeah because that hurt the careers of guys like Gretzky, Coffee and Messier during the 80s in the pre-internet, pre-24 hour news cycle. They were only the biggest names in the game even playing in Edmonton.

You'll never ever see Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins because they don't play for the Maple Leafs. [/endbluefont]

IF they reach the level of success and ability as the Crosbys and Ovechkins, etc. they will get the press and coverage. Washington and Pittsburgh weren't exactly the centre of the hockey world before Crosby and Ovechkin came along yet suddenly according to the likes of NBC they are the only wo teams worth watching.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's always fascinating when people feel compelled to not only click on threads in which they have no interest, they then believe everyone else needs to know just how little they care about what's being discussed.

12. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

I think points 1 and 3 in particular are what make the whole Crosby story unique.

I know some have mentioned Brady and Manning as comparable. However, with a torn ACL like Brady had, you knew right away that season was done and that he'd be back Week 1 of next year. In the case of Crosby, there wasn't that certainty and known return date.

Draft saved Draft deleted