1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SID, Lock Haven (Pa.) University

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wickedwritah, Dec 21, 2006.

1. SnoopCoog

SnoopCoog Member

I covered the Little League World Series one year and was forced to spend a night in Mansfield, about an hour to the north and in the middle of nowhere. Yikes. It made Williamsport look like New York City. Would people actually choose to live there?

2. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

I believe the ad on the school's Web site said the salary was 38K-46K ... I was kind of thinking of putting in for it until I saw that.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

This may be a curse/blessing, but you will have little time to spend that money. I'm sure there will be lots and lots of 60-hour weeks there. The PSAC SIDs work their butts off.

4. Journalista

Journalista New Member

Wicked,

AMEN to that. It's not easy being a Division II sports information director.

Especially in the PSAC, because of double-digit schools and a heap of sponsored sports.

Truman State in Missouri also has an opening right now, for those of you who are interested in SID work.

Signed,

Journalista

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Brief word of warning ...

The last time I applied for an open SID job, I was told that although they liked my resume and professional references, they couldn't consider me because I didn't have any experience operating scorekeeping software like DakStats or The Automated Scorebook.

Given that smaller schools like Lock Haven have their SIDs wearing a lot of different hats, having stat software experience might be a deal-maker or -breaker.

6. qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop New Member

I don't disagree with that, but I find it funny that they don't mention that in the posting. That why I tend to believe they have someone in mind. If you were hiring of an SID, wouldn't stat programs be a must? But if you look, they only want a journalism or communications degree. Maybe they are looking for a media member or former media member to get in there to promote the school. Correct me if I am wrong but they have three local newspapers within 40 miles of the university. I'm sure someone at those three have some ties to the university in some form. Whoever said something about PSAC SIDs working their butts off are correct.

7. WSKY

WSKY Member

That may be true, but that stuff is much easier to learn than say, ah, being able to write a complete sentence. These SID jobs are a joke. At least most all the ones I work with are a bunch of lazy hacks — who make more than me so I hate them even more.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I will sort of agree with you; I've met more bad SIDs than good ones. But there are a number of very, very good ones out there.

9. WSKY

WSKY Member

You're right, there are some good ones. I, however, don't get to work with them too often.

10. VictoryGallop

VictoryGallop Member

Stat software can be learned by college freshmen, you can surely learn it quick enough. What SIDs need to be able to (and don't do nearly enough of) is get on the phone (phone, not e-mail), and -- here's a novel concept in today's world -- actually talk to someone. They need to communicate with sports editors at papers where they are trying to pitch stories. That requires more skill, networking ability, concept of the big picture, than being able to punch in J20OR40 (that's automated scorebook code ..) during a hoops game.

signed,

Former SID (it's a great job if you don't mind working 7x/week for nine months of the year ... At my paper, we've got overtime, 45-hour week maximum per a Guild contract, etc., all laughable concepts in the SID world.)

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Having dealt with a few of the Pennsylvania Division III and PSAC SIDs, I'll say we have a good bunch. No request goes unanswered -- and it gets answered pretty dang quickly.

12. sheos

sheos Member

aren't SIDs satan worshipers? this listing should be removed by moderators immediately, i find it disturbing

Draft saved Draft deleted