1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sid Hartman: Monson resigns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Damn, I didn't realize Monson had been at Minnesota for eight years.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

eight years and he finally finished the job clem haskins started: he drove the program into the ground. it will take several years to build up to even middle of the road big 10 status.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And people wonder why Mark Few isn't so eager to leave Gonzaga for the first power conference job that comes open ...

4. The question is- how good of a major conference job is Minnesota? I mean, sure, it's a Big Ten job, but is it really that attractive? What kind of resources do they have? What kind of support from their administration? I remember when Monson first took the job he was discouraged from taking JUCO's because of the Clem Haskins fall-out..He wound up bringing in a couple (Vincent Grier) but it seems like in the early going he had been a little bit hamstrung as far as admissions. Not that you want to bring in all JUCO's, but I think you probably have to bring in some at-risk academic types if you want to succeed at a place like that. The talent base in the state is better than some people think, but it's certainly not a top-tier Big Ten job..

Maybe one of these Missouri Valley coaches takes a stab at this one..it's not going to be Turgeon, because he gets paid too well..you wonder if Lickliter from Butler will look to go..

Mark Few has had better opportunities than this one, that's for sure..

Another question- how much time do they give Bill Carmody at Northwestern? I'm not saying they should necessarily run him out after this season, but it's a viable question..

Draft saved Draft deleted