1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sick, perverted middle-school football coach

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ondeadline, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

This reminds me of the sicko up here in Canada who was recently arrested after "allegedly" abducting and sexually assaulting two young boys. He's been convicted of such offences on FOUR previous occasions.

Thankfully, the government is finally seeking to have him declared a "dangerous offender," meaning he can be imprisoned for the rest of his life. The sad part is so many young people have had to suffer because of all the second chances this guy got.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I don't have solid numbers to back this up, but I have a feeling the incidence of recividism is pretty high among sex offenders of this type. I know it's not a guaranteed solution, but I would have zero problem with mandatory chemical castration in many cases.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Screw the chemicals. Grab me the bolt cutters. And leave the anaestethic and antiseptic in the medicine chest, we won't be needing them.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No, you don't. You covered it all. And Double J with the bolt cutters works just fine.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

How is the sex drive literally an engine? I don't wanna know what "toy stores" you've been to. :eek:

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Off topic, but did anyone else notice that at the end of the second link this appears:

URL for this article: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/30565/

So now apparently random people may come read this thread.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I have urges to pat the ass of most good-looking chicks I see on the street. Guess what? I don't. Because it's wrong to act on every impulse you have.

Guys like this should be shot without benefit of trial. You can't rehabilitate them.

8. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Of course it is. Won't argue with that at all.

I guess I'm just wondering whether or not certain forms of this behavior have clinical roots, like other forms of antisocial or sociopathic behavior. Do I have any inklings one way or the other? Hell, no. I'm not a doctor.

There's a fine line when it comes to urges I guess. For myself, I know that I am ultimately responsible for my own actions, no matter how "strong" an urge may be. But then, contrary to my handle, I haven't been diagnosed with any mental illness. I'm not saying those who perpetrate such actions have a sickness...for all I know, 100% of them could be nothing but criminals.

But if there can be a possibility, why not explore it? I, for one, would feel more comfortable raising kids in a world where this stuff can possibly be prevented rather than just being merely prosecuted.

9. Starman

The best way to prevent such behavior is for it to become wide public knowledge that there will be terrible, terrible consequences for engaging in it.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

You mean like giving the death penalty to murderers?

11. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Here's the thing, though: If we're dealing with a true pathological mental illness, than will the consequences matter for the real crazies?

Plus, some perfectly sane people just don't care about the consequences anyway. Trust me...I've seen some very balanced people with seemingly everything going for them throw their families and jobs away just because they can't stop drinking/smoking pot/nailing random women/any combination of the three.

Sure, stiff punishments can shave off some of these folks. But why not explore other options as well, to help stop the rest of them?

12. Starman

Uh, yeah.

For those who can modify their behavior in the face of catastrophic consequences for these crimes, bravo. Deterrence Works.

As for the rest of 'em, I don't give a fuck.

Society needs to be concerned with the safety and security of those who DO obey the laws and standards of civilized behavior, not those who don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted