1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sick-out in Fall River?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by keef spoon, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Come on -- Emeril's from there!!!

2. WScribblySh

WScribblySh Member

I'm just a high plains guy, but curses to AP for always omitting Fall River from the NBA and NHL standings.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Lived in Boston for 33 years. Never set foot in Fall River. Could find it thanks only to Mapquest.

4. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

News-siders are totally ignorant about sports. I can't imagine them editing sports copy and knowing details that dedicated sports copy editors would know.

No, not all news-siders are ignorant about sports; some of the best news-side people I've worked with have come from sports desks.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

There was a book about the high school boys basketball team at Fall River that was supposed to be the basketball equivalent of Friday Night Lights. Didn't read it all, but got the impression it's pretty working-class to working poor up there.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

You'd be sick too living in Fall River.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

yeah, i don't know this david scott guy but to actually think that because you used to be a sport copy editor you'd change "lemnios" or a variation to "chelios" is assinine.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I am serious. Have you ever heard of Spokane or Merced or countless other cities in the West that are large? Take your east coast snarkiness and shove it.

9. chazp

chazp Active Member

I agree with happygirl, I once had a news-sider help me edit Saturday morning's paper with Friday night prep football stories in it. The news editor didn't have a clue about AP sports style and changed "9-yard touchdown run" to "nine-yard touchdown run." When I saw the paper the next morning I decided then and there not to accept help any longer from the news side. May news-siders rot in hell.

10. happygirl

happygirl Member

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you're the one who made it an issue, fall rivers girl.

12. happygirl

happygirl Member

Like I said, Tom: My bad. Thanks for properly rebuking me and pointing out my typing error. Got anything to add to the subject of this thread, Gatehouse?

Draft saved Draft deleted