1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sick of network TV....missing 80s sitcoms

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hacksaw2828, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Was that one of the first few seasons. That show was definitely at its best the first 3-4 years it was on the air.

Trivia: The Cosby Show finale coincided with what major news event?

2. With Jason Bateman being hip again, I wish they would finally release "It's Your Move" on DVD. Hell, "Small Wonder" is even out.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Just a guess...

Space shuttle blowing up?

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Rodney K ing, I believe.

5. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, it was the Rodney King riots.

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Phineas and Ferb may be the most cleverly written show on television. My daughter, age four, will look at my wife and I went we start laughing at jokes she doesn't get.

Example:
    The show's mother to her daughter wearing a tacky work uniform: "You look like No.1"
    The daughter, "I feel like No. 2"

Also, they once referenced Boy Howdy.

Not a fan of Oso, I keep thinking my daughter expects Oso to come busting through the door to clean her room for her.

7. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

It's been discussed elsewhere on this site how watered-down TV is with reality programming and how, to a large extent, the traditional broadcast networks have either given up or completely run out of ideas. That said, I wholeheartedly agree with much that's being said here -- there's some tremendous TV out there, you just have to know where to find it.

I've never had as many "appointment" TV programs as I have right now .... House and 24 (yes, I still watch it) on Mondays ... Justified on Tuesdays ... Parks and Rec, the Office, and Burn Notice (when in season) on Thursdays ... Breaking Bad and whatever's on HBO on Sundays. And that doesn't even count all the shows I catch on Hulu, on replay or on demand: White Collar, Life and Times of Tim, Community, Modern Family, Royal Pains, Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Archer, and Big Bang Theory, among others. There's some really, really good stuff out there. There's just so much BAD stuff, the gems get lost.

8. Mizzougrad96

I started watching Parks and Rec and am loving it.

9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Likewise, I burned through the first season of Big Bang Theory because of the praise on the board. Pretty good stuff.

10. Mizzougrad96

Second season is much better than the first.

11. Mizzougrad96

Did anyone see who they're casting as Sheldon's girlfriend?

Mayim Bialik.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

And I knew a guy who admitted to having sex with her.

It's pretty funny listening to podcasts that bash network programming and claim Internet video will be the future (which is what they've been saying for several years). Advertisers aren't flocking to the dozens of Web shows devoted to technology news. Sorry Leo Laporte, but advertisers like consumers who have jobs and shower.

Draft saved Draft deleted