1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sick of network TV....missing 80s sitcoms

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hacksaw2828, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Brad Pitt dressed up like the main character for Halloween and everything exploded. Hell, Weezer was on the last episode I saw and Jack Black and Sarah Silverman have been on recently.

2. partain

partain Member

Mizzou, I'm mainly talking about the Ty Burrell character. The two dad situation is a whole nother topic. And I have very few problems with Ed O'Neill in this series. Just watch, Ty's character can't be trusted to do anything right. He never really has a clue what's going on because he's spending so much time trying to be hip. Just a bad example in a lot of ways. I will give him credit for trying to be involved, but he often goes about it the wrong way.

I like the old Scooby Doo series, but if you watch the updated versions, the girls are the only ones who can solve the case. The guys are always too busy acting stupid, getting sidetracked by food and running for their lives. I understand the fact that we need to give girls strong role models in the media after years of doing just the opposite. But we've done it at the expense of the dads. I'd like to see a happy medium in there somewhere.

And don't get me wrong, I love Modern Family. But it's not a show for parents to watch with their 6 or 8 year olds.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Time before day, please.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My 10 and 8 yr olds are asleep by 9.

5. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Mizzou, Community and Parks are the first things I watch on the the DVR on Thursdays. Last year, that wasn't the case. These two shows have gotten so much better than they were last season, like light-years. Great casts on both, too.

Breaking Bad is very, very good. And Mad Men is totally worth your time.

To the subject at hand, I'm never at a loss to find good TV. With downloading, Netflix, etc., I can always find new (or new to me at least) stuff to watch. For example, after becoming smitten with Archer, I binged on Sealab 2021, Frisky Dingo, then Venture Bros. for the heck of it. Yesterday, I just finished Season 1 of Party Down which is very funny. Great cast. Never had Starz so it was never on my radar.

6. Mizzou, I know you have great movie taste. You should give "Mad Men" a shot. It's incredible.

And give "Parks and Rec" another shot. It's outstanding now. I've heard they retooled, but I gave up so fast last season I couldn't give you specifics. Just that I got hooked early this season and it sure didn't seem like the same show from a year ago.

I think partain is on to something about the bumbling fathers, though. It's like every father on television has to be Homer Simpson. Maybe that humor plays to women? I can't count the number of commercials I've heard through the years about how the idiot, oblivious husband is so dumb for wanting to go play golf or poker.

7. Mizzougrad96

We didn't get AMC until very recently. I have the first season downloaded, but I haven't gotten around to watching it.

I know I would love Breaking Bad. It looks like my kind of show, I'm just so behind I don't know if I have the patience to catch up.

8. Mizzougrad96

I like Aziz, so that might draw me to Parks and Rec.

I've always found Poehler to be incredibly annoying. It seems like she thinks she's funnier than anyone else does.

There's really no reason for me not to watch Community, since I'm a big Joel McHale fan and I want to see him succeed.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I can understand the hesitation on Parks and Rec, because it's a bit of an acquired taste. But Community is really hitting home runs right now. Once they ditched the whole "Jeff is here to chase Brita and have a romance with her" plot line and played up the ensemble, it really started clicking.

10. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Abed is the best character on Community.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bones needs to be on this thread, and I am suprised that Damages has not been mentioned yet.

And we always, always forget about the greatness of South Park.

Mizzou, you have to watch Mad Men.

12. Mizzougrad96

Damages is a truly amazing show.

I think South Park is the funniest show of all-time by a mile.

Draft saved Draft deleted