1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sick of it...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Higgs22, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Higgs22

Higgs22 New Member

OK--I did make some edits in the OP--probably closing the barn door after the horse is out, but oh well...

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Removed my post as well.

3. Higgs22

Higgs22 New Member

Thanks...

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I edited my post as well.

5. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

My undergrad journalism program had several "visiting" profs who didn't have a degree beyond a BA teach some writing/reporting courses so it is possible. But to teach, say mass comm, at a community college you would need a MA in journalism/mass comm or a MA in any field plus 18 graduate credit hours in mass comm.

Adjunct work can be a fun (and relatively easy) way to pick up some good money, but it provides no health benefits. Best of luck Higgs.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

http://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/browse-career-and-job-categories/combat/special-forces-communications-sergeant.html

You want a communications job and a raise? Here you go. Special Forces communications sergeant.

Now fetch me a drink, newb. And I don't want no cheap shit. Bushmill's 16-year old will do just fine.

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

good luck with it...I'd say try for the college route either in PR or the SID department. I did something similar about 2 years ago...spent 6 months searching it out but no one bit on me. I have a friend in PR work at a local community college and it seems like a pretty cush job for the most part. Better pay, more time off...of course there are other stresses involved I'm sure. And you have to be a pretty good schmoozer.

8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

In your next postgame interview, tell the coach you slept with his wife at halftime, and that it wasn't any good (later claim this was just a bad joke). Let him punch you, and fall to the ground. Take advantage of the wife's insurance at the hospital. Sue the coach for the injury, and then claim it strains your neck to look at a computer screen, and file for workmen's comp for a couple of months. Enjoy the vacation.

Then after a couple of month's off around the whining kid and complaining wife, covering Timbuctoo vs. Clarksville game on Friday may not seem so bad.

In all seriousness, good luck with whatever you decide to do. Choose something you enjoy, because we only get one chance.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Has anybody else noticed all the writers/copy editors getting out of the newspaper business?
    It's finally happening. People are jumping ship in droves. I guess no raises, furloughs and intimidation from higher-ups to reporters and copy editors have made most young people realize this is not a business one wants to get into.

Draft saved Draft deleted