1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sick days 2007

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thereligiouswrong, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You only get five vacation days next year? Fuck that. Those sick days just became vacation days.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

What Gola! said.

We get 10 vacation days, four floating holidays and 10 sick days that can be rolled over to the next year.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I rarely missed days when I was still in the business, and if I did, it was usually because of my son, not me.

My new job/career? I haven't taken a day off for any reason since before the summer. So when February rolls around, I'll have a couple of weeks of time off and I plan to use a big hunk of that.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Save it till March, and I'll buy you a beer when I'm in your neck of the woods. :D

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

At delta, we get 11 holidays, two weeks vacation and a week of personal time every year (increasing vacation for years of service).

So that's about a month and a half of time off. and I take it all.

suck on that!

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I just had food poisoning this week. You're damn right I used two sick days this week. :-\

That said, I can count on one hand the number I've used since I got here in '05. And the same hand to count how many I've used since 2001.

But alas, no roll-overs or anything like that. I think you get five a year, use 'em or lose 'em.

7. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

If we don't use any sick days all year, we get an extra personal day the next year.
    But if we don't use those personal days (nobody in sports does), we lose them. So it really doesn't matter here.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Ugh, I've suffered at the food poisoning fate before, that sucks.

Problem was I was a one-person department and I *couldn't* be sick. In those days I covered a few games, laid out a few sections and wrote a column that pissed a lot of people off. I don't recommend writing columns in between bouts of vomiting.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I used one sick day between 1986 and 1995. My first kid was born in 1994. I've used at least two a year since then.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Screw sick days...I just got my most recent pay stub (last one for this year) and I only used one day of holiday pay. Goodbye six days of paid time off.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Fuck legal. We were two people down on desk. I was lucky to get two days off as it was.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Let me clarify, because my boss does read this site and I don't want him pissed at me for what you say:

We do get overtime, as deskers. We get comp time as writers. We use comp time as we can. My schedule as it was, part-desk and part-writer, made that difficult. Also, my season is exceptionally long.

The comp time rolls over, so I've been fine with that. And my boss has never had issues with when I've used it. I haven't always used it, because I do feel a responsibility to this paper and the people I work with.

However, with a new contract that kicked in last pay period, comp time is out and we are all supposed to be making OT. I'll be interested to see how getting paid for all the hours we work will make the higher-ups look at the sports section differently than they do now. I don't think they have any idea what we do back here...they're about to find out.

Draft saved Draft deleted