1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI: Yankee Stadium is Dying

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, Sep 19, 2008.

1. silentbob

silentbob Member

Credit where credit is due: This is one of the best SI's have seen in a while. Aside from Verducci's piece, Lee Jenkins (who gets better almost with every issue) has a solid story on Peyton Manning reacting to Brady's injury and his own injury fears. Austin Murphy's piece on USC also has some nice moments.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Tom's piece. But the whole idea they're tearing down the "old" Yankee Stadium is a crock. They're tearing down the "formerly new" Yankee Stadium. The "real" Yankee Stadium was destroyed in 1974-1975. I was at the real one twice. I was at the current one many times, and frankly, it was a lousy place to see a game and not much of one to work a game, either.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Could have been Yankee fans impersonating Braves fans during the latter stages of the last century . . .

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Ted Williams' first game back at Fenway after the Korean War drew less than 20,000.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

which proves all yankee fans are assholes.

6. Now my heart is shattered, Tom.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

come on, dog. i'm a dodger fan. you can't expect any less/more from me.

8. That's true, home-skillet. You go enjoy your all-you-can-eat seats.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was a young Braves fan at a lot of those games in Fulton County Stadium and loved the tiny crowds. When you're a kid in a 50,000-seat stadium that is 10 percent full, it feels like your own personal playground.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and i'll counter, my friend, that it's sure easy to be a yankee fan ... until the past few years, of course.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Back then a game had to be a draw. Not nearly as many people went to a game just because of the mystique of the Majors. Besides, the A's were basically the Yanks' minor league club for a long time. Ask any old KC fan about that.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Outisde of George getting first-run on the $$$$ free-agent market (explaining the late 70s), and the indisputable intelligence of Stick Michael (the late 90s), the Yanks have been fatally-fllawed since post-'64, when all the old farts collapsed in virtual unison.

Draft saved Draft deleted