1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI: Yankee Stadium is Dying

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Funny thing is, someone on ESPN.com did this about five years ago.

2. Mediator

Mediator Member

The fact that they are tearing down such a historic stadium is an absolute crime of greed. I don't care how shiny the new toilets are. If your seat overlooks the field, that's all most fans care about.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No, it's pretty filthy there in the concourses and bathrooms.

I don't even think the bathrooms have exhaust vents.

4. bob

bob Member

Fenway Park is alive. It may be a dump, but the fans seem to love it. Management has made impressive improvements every year since 2003. Can't imagine the Sox playing in a shiny new stadium.
    Hard to imagine the Yankees without their Stadium.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Started to read the story, thought it was a neat angle. Then this, in the second fucking paragraph, about the 70s facelift:

"Picture Jocelyn Wildenstein at 85 and you get the idea."

Yeesh.

6. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I enjoyed the story. One fact jumped out at me, that its built with some specially formulated concrete invented by Edison that is virtually indestructible and has only been used a few times. I live in Florida. Why the hell aren't we building with it?

7. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Fixed.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I wondered how many even got the reference if they did not read the NY Post.

I did like the anecdote about the room where Roger Clemens would go to get his "shots" from Trainer.

9. goalmouth

The story goes on to say that same concrete came apart from kids pounding with Bat Day bats, necessitating the 70s rebuild. Edison should have stuck to lightbulbs.

Trivia: Which former SWC university once owned the land under Yankee Stadium?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Rice

11. goalmouth

Right. Then known as Rice Institute.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No shit? When and why?

Draft saved Draft deleted