1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI: Yankee Stadium is Dying

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I thought this was a great issue, complete with a great feature on Stephen Curry, a nice short piece on Bowden/Paterno, good stories about Peyton Manning and Vince Young, and all that other stuff.

But I was interested to see what everyone thought of Verducci's piece on Yankee Stadium. If you haven't read it, check it out. He writes it as though he is the stadium. Very interesting, very bold first-person angle. For the most part, I thought he did a great job with it.

But I bet not everyone thought that.

2. I might be surprised, but I don't like the sounds of it.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

My subscription to SI just started. I get a whole year plus an NFL jacket for $20. I'm already getting Time for $20 a year too. This was the first issue that arrived and I'm looking forward to reading it. Verducci is really good.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Will you be cutting the sleeves off the jacket and showing off the pythons, FH?

5. Flying Headbutt

The guns will get you. Whatcha gonna do, brutha!?!?!?

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It just seem freakin' wrong that Yankee Stadium's last game will be played in September and not October. Just plain wrong.

7. Flying Headbutt

Well if Hank Steinbrenner didn't go and fuck shit up, they'd be playing in October. Well, maybe at least. Truth is all these years of free agency and such are catching up to the Yankees.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

No and yes.

Not sure what Hank Steinbrenner really has to do with anything, except running his mouth.

Going back when, I'd say if George hadn't inserted himself in the decision making process and forced the Yankees to sign Sheffield instead of Guerrero, and by refusing to sign Beltran, well, things the last couple of years might have been different.

As far as the story. Well, I don't subscribe, so I guess I'll have to wait until it hits online.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What might have been, Gola.

Sigh.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/the_bonus/09/18/yankee.stadium/index.html

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Before I read this and change my opinion, I went to the stadium a few weeks ago as a fan, and it is very outdated once you step off the field.

Could it be kept? Probably, but it is old and its time will eventually come.

The only way to preserve it would be to demolish everything other than the field, the monuments and the outfield walls, move the team to Shea for 2-3 seasons and rebuild the entire park. The bathrooms, the concourse, the boxes and the seats. Everything.

It could be done.

But honestly, would it be worth it?

12. Sly

Sly Active Member

I think they're just going to go ahead and move into the new digs that they're ripping off the public for.

Draft saved Draft deleted