1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI up next for layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 25, 2012.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

New York Times reporting Michael Farber (hockey writer, to become special contributor) and Gene Menez (CFB editor) have accepted buyouts. There were 13 buyouts and three layoffs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/19/sports/sports-illustrated-makes-cuts-to-staff.html?_r=1&ref=sports

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll echo the love for Staples, but he works for the website, not the magazine. I'm not sure if SI obsessively keeps the two as separate as ESPN does, because I have seen Andy's byline in SI, but usually on sidebar pieces or info boxes.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Farber's really good, hopefully he keeps writing regularly as a special contributor. Others who left regular gigs there -- Rushin, Wolff and McCallum among others - still pop up, which has been nice to see.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I read everything Farber writes in SI, and I'm not a huge hockey fan.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Alex Wolff remains with Sports Illustrated full time. And that's a damn shame about Michael Farber, for my money the best hockey writer in the country.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Wolff is a great writer. For revisiting a historic moment or team, he's as good as anyone. Wish I saw more of his work.

7. Quakes

Quakes Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted