1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI up next for layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 25, 2012.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Hack does some NFL. Don't think any of the other do any other sport.

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

So what??!! I don't come here often and I didn't see the first notice, so kudos to Inky for posting it.

For cryin' out loud, I get sick of the posters on here who get bent out of shape because someone has posted a topic that has already been posted before. Big freakin' deal. Get a life.

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Does Selena still work there?
    (Kidding! Though I'd love to hear about what she's up to, if anyone knows.)

And a real question: Is Kelly Anderson SI's only female writer (writer who happens to be female, I should say)?

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Sarah Kwak and Melissa Segura come to mind.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I dropped my SI sub about a year ago. Just got an offer to come back ... $20 for a one-year sub. That's unbelievably low. Will probably take them up on it.

6. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Where'd you find that?

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Mail offer, probably because I was a previous long-time subscriber. Also comes with an NFL team jacket that will surely fall apart within three months.

8. SellOut

SellOut Member

I wonder about the analytics of it. If I was laying people off, I'd go to the web first. I visit the site daily, but other than MMQB and the occasional Verducci column, there's not a lot there. Just clicked on it and their four promoted writer contributions are something from Kelly at swimming and then three folks I haven't heard much from who don't get in the magazine.
    Would I rather have three of them or one of Tim Layden? I'd rather have one of Tim Layden, who may be the best sports writer in the country.

9. Quakes

Quakes Guest

Tim Layden has written six stories in the last week or so from the track and field trials. His latest, on the dead heat in the women's 100 meters, is one of the big headline stories on the site right now.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I thought I read somewhere that she took a leave of absence to do a book on A Rod.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Because the world needs another book about that vapid asshole.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I dropped SI for about 3-4 years and only re-started it because I had a couple thousand Coke points and SI was one of the options that I could get for free. That's also how I get Esquire, EW and Details.

Draft saved Draft deleted