1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI up next for layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://www.wwd.com/media-news/fashion-memopad/sports-illustrated-outlines-layoffs-5982904

2. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Little slow there Inky ... :)

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/90661/

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, TBL was all over this awhile back.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This breaks my heart.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's sad, but a bit overdue. I mean do they really need Bamberger, Garrity, Van Sickle, Shipnuk and Hack all doing golf? ... with free-lance appearances by Stephanie Wei?

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Since golf is probably one of the areas of the mag/website they can easily sell ads targeted to an affluent demo, I'd say yes.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Don't all those golf writers also write across the SI, Golf Magazine, SI Golf + platforms as well?

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Those golf guys do plenty -- and stuff besides golf. As for Wei, you got me there. But guessing she's not a high-paid freelancer anyway.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes. I'd guess that's one of their cash cow sports they cover. Love SI Golf +, especially, the majors previews.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just heard about a buyout offer for a major writer (not golf). Just crushing to hear this stuff.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

"Buyout offers" aren't flattering, right? A company's desire to send you out into this economy with a big check is like handing some disgraced leader a handgun and closing the door behind you, expecting him to do the right thing.

But in newspaper world, I'm more familiar with employers who make buyouts "available" to groups of workers who meet certain criteria; then, if not enough accept, layoffs begin according to other criteria. Must be more rare to have them made individually. Damn, that would be a serious shot across one's bow to get out -- or else.

12. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Suggest you go read The Franchise if you want to see how SI dealt with some hard times on its way to becoming THE dominant sports publication in America.

SI has been barely relevant in terms of influencing the sporting public for at least 10 years now - - maybe 15.

It may make some avert their eyes as a former icon goes into a spiral around the drain, but that is about what SI is about to do. Given the current publication, I am not sure it will be alive and well in 2022.

Sad... I got my first subscription when I was in high school in 1959.

Draft saved Draft deleted