1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI thought/question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by e4, Aug 9, 2007.

1. e4

e4 Member

what do you make or think of SI running a column/essay by a writer from firejoemorgan.com in the scorecard section this week? do people outside of boston even care about what the guy wrote? do they even get half the jokes/"insights"? would the globe have even run something like that on freelance?

should we all send SI our blogs now? should i get a blog? ;D

fwiw, i miss rushin's column in that part of the book. i really do.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

As a longtime firejoemorgan.com reader I thought it was funny, but yeah for SI it was damn weird to see a prominent space in the magazine occupied by a writer calling himself "Ken Tremendous." Really surprised they let that name through. I'd have been fine with his real name, then a reference to KT in the tagline at the end. (And if it is his real name, well, I'm a moron...)

Then again, SI seems like it has no idea where it wants to go with Scorecard.

3. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Letting Mr. Tremendous' piece in is SI's latest desperate grasp at trying to be "with it."

Every publication, even storied ones like SI, are reaching to incorporate the Internets into their print edition, and this is simply the latest sad example. I guess it's entertaining and all, but blog-like ramblings are not what I look to SI for.

That kind of shit belongs in ESPN the Ragazine.

4. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

yes, because tim keown, buster olney, wright thompson, seth wickersham, dave fleming, gene wojciechowski and tim kurkjian are complete hacks.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I miss Rushin, the Scorecard is a mess, and this was as good as any of the others have been; better than most.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Steve Rushin is now writing essays for Time.

7. sizzle

sizzle New Member

Rushin at Time? Doesn't seem like he'd fit .. but I'm def going to check it out. He was a nice change of pace read in SI.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Finally read the Tremendous piece, and thought it was tremendous. Captured Boston fans perfectly. At least what I think of 'em.

9. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

I read who it was from and skipped right over it. If I wanted to read the blog...I would read the blog. I get SI to read the stories and RR, not some blog, no matter how good it is. Not to mention, I don't care about Boston or its fans.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I thought it was funny as hell.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just what we need . . . SI joining the "all NY/Boston, ALL the time" death march.

Draft saved Draft deleted