1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI subscription fail

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by fishhack2009, Jan 21, 2010.

1. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Just subscribed to SI again for the first time in years.

My first issue arrived today ... with Brett Favre on the cover.

Fuck.

At least this means the Vikings are now doomed to lose on Sunday ... :D

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I just renewed too. I swore I wouldn't but $29 for a year and free jacket is a pretty good deal.

3. fishhack2009

It is a good deal. The mag seems much thinner than in the past though ... sign of the times I guess...

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

You should have held out for the free football phone as well.....

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I just subscribed under that offer, too. Haven't gotten SI in a couple years, but it's worth it for that price, I think.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It could be worse. At least your cover guy actually did something. My cover? Mark Sanchez. Blech. And, again, I hate regional covers, which they break out for every preview and many playoff issues. Takes away from being on the SI cover. Yes, I'm a dinosaur.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You guys will hate this. I just got a three year renewal of SI under a professional courtesy rate, for $38 (not a year, $38 for all three years). And they tossed in a trinket -- I can't remember what it was, haven't gotten anything yet, but I think it may have been a gym bag. I believe the deal was $38 for 2 years or $38 for 3 years, so I signed on for three.

Also, they must be doing regionalized covers. The issue I got the other day had the Jets, not Brett Favre, on the cover.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Why would we hate that?

Also, the SI gym bags suck. I still have mine from a few years ago and, while I still use it from time to time, the material is easily torn. Good for every-now-and-then use, but not for everyday use.

9. fishhack2009

Is that the Jan. 25 issue, Ragu? That's the one I got today ...

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. Jan. 25. Mark Sanchez on the cover. Cover line is "NFL Playoffs: Jets Souring," with Peter King's byline.

"Favre on Fire" and "Saints Muscle Up" run across the top of the cover.

11. fishhack2009

Regional issues then. I'm in North Carolina, so I guess we get something on the Saints-Vikings.

And in the unintentional irony department, my post brought the SI $29 offer ads to the top and right side of the thread. Glad I could help, SI! :D

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Few years back, I was subscribing to SI for about $38 per year. When it expired, they sent me a notice saying that my subscription was going up to $67. I refused to pay it, and figured the subscription would just run out. Instead, it continued.

The next month, I found $67 charged to my credit card. I called them and the clerk said that was going to be the charge. I told them to cancel it, as I didn't authorize the charge. They did.

Couple of months later, I resubscribed, on-line, for $39 for the year.

Draft saved Draft deleted