1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI story on the Vancouver riot

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NCScrub, Dec 23, 2011.

1. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

Just curious what people thought of this story, which started with a giant picture of that iconic kiss. After seeing the picture I didn't really do any reading on how the couple was identified, although I'm sure it didn't take very long, but didn't know if there were any interesting tidbits about that.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1193212/index.htm

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I liked the structure of the story a lot. Some very good reporting too.

But I also wanted to read more about the couple and was surprised they didn't have a current photo of them or any of the other principals in the story. Perhaps since the story was The Photo, they wanted that to stand alone.

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

It was a great read, but I was surprised at the lack of art. For a story that occurred months ago, you would have thought they could hunt down more art or graphics. Story was good, but the read itself was kind of dull.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I thought it was completely fascinating. Lack of art didn't bother me, mostly because I'm sure a lot of the images are disturbing. I can't even watch any of the hundreds of YouTube clips. The entire ordeal just makes me so disappointed in society as a whole.

5. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

The most fascinating aspect to me was that there's someone in Ohio who's primary academic focus is to study what causes sports-related riots among a city's fans.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

A current photo like with this story?

[​IMG]

It's called google folks. Also, I didn't see the actual magazine, just the archive version, but I am sure there would have been some art with the print edition, I don't think SI generally does with their SI Vault stories.

7. Don Perryman

Don Perryman Member

I'm not saying it is good or bad, but there is only one photo with the print version - a damned good one taken the night of the riots. The story is very well done. Tip of the chapeau to Mr. Ballard.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wrong. I read the actual magazine and there were no photos except the doubletruck spread of the kiss photo.

And yeah, I'm aware of how to use the Google. But the fact I had to means that SI didn't give me everything I'd have liked with the story. A current photo of the couple wouldn't seem like too much to ask -- unless the couple specifically asked not to be photographed, and that detail wasn't in the story.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Next time a reader calls and says, "You didn't run any photos with last night's Celtics game story," I'm going to tell him, "It's called Google, sir."

Draft saved Draft deleted