1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI story on Darrent Williams murder (by Thomas Lake)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 10, 2011.

1. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Re: SI story on Darent Williams murder (by Thomas Lake)

I would give SI credit for giving it the proper treatment, too. In lesser hands, the story easily could've been written in a really tawdry, sensationalized fashion. By the same token, SI could've tried to sell it to the readers by using a bunch of cheap True Crime display effects, and they didn't. They recognized their gem, and chose not to put it on a pewter chain.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Great piece. A story I've, obviously, followed from the beginning. Lots of good stuff and writing.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Great piece of writing and what a tragedy (in the true sene of the word).

Any reason why they didn't identify Little Willie's friend?

4. daman

daman New Member

I agree with any "best story in SI in a while" sentiment. The ending gave me goosebumps. Really awesome stuff.

5. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I was wondering about that, too.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The correct spelling of Mr. Williams' first name is "Darrent." Please consider for editing purposes, Dick.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Credit to SI for going with this story even though its cast of characters is long and inherently confusing. There's no way to make it any less confusing. They resisted the 21st-century urge to scrap it or dumb it down out of fear that an attention-deficient demographic might not hang in there with it.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You know how it is when you are coming up in the biz - there are writers you really admire and aspire to be in their league some day? Lake was the first one who was younger than me and it made me kind of sick.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Dick, I didn't read your post till after reading the piece.
    About 25% in, the same thought struck me. (The Get Shorty "chronology"/plot line.)
    Not bothered by it. Pretty damn interesting, even.

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

SPOILER HERE:

Didn't the jewelry fit the Chekov rule perfectly? Unless I read it wrong, after they tried to squash the fight, they kept the limo idling while they looked for the chain under the seat, giving the shooter time to catch up to them.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The jewelry was used as a metaphor for the vanity that created this whole mess.

As an aside: Am I the only one who pretty much reads Sports Illustrated from the back forward these days?

The best story in any issue is almost assuredly the last, and that -- whether it's Wertheim or Lake or Smith or Price or even Michael Farber had a good one on hockey in Belfast -- coupled with the rejuvenated Point After basically makes the SI subscription worth the cost.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I guess my greater point is that these days, SI is struggling with those opening acts more often than in the past, but the quality of the final feature is usually still very high, and the Point After is as good as ever, at least with Posnanski in the driver's seat. I actually like Taylor, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted