1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI story about Lance Armstrong. Doesn't look pretty.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jan 18, 2011.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I heard that as well.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

And you've got guys like me who was loving the hell out of it on both counts.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I completely agree with this but, and correct me if I'm wrong, aren't you the guy who would never vote anybody into the Baseball hall of fame if they were caught using PED's

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Anecdotal evidence to the contrary: LA's No. 1 morning show, the KTLA Morning News, just did 5 minute interview with their sports guy, Rodger Lodge, talking about it with their anchors. Of course, most of what they said was factually incorrect, but only a bike geek like me would notice.

The only thing American's like more than an all-American Hero like Lance, is when that all-American Hero takes a fall. Should (more likely, I should say, when) he be indicted, the coverage will be epic.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Let's hope...

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Nothing groundbreaking, just another layer of the onion peeled back.

IMO, he'll deny, deny, deny until the UCI comes up with some amnesty program and he's assured no financial or prison time fines. And those people will drag their feet, too.

He's got too much at stake in regards to his charity work, his endorsements and his 'brand' to come clean at this point.

I'm a cyclist and triathlete. I put almost 8,000 miles on my bike last year. I race (poorly) 30-50 times per year. I love Lance's impact on the sport and hate it at the same time. He's a Grade A douchebag from all accounts while also being the greatest embassador the sport has ever had, at least in this country. But I can't wait for him to be out of the sport so it can move forward.

It's an amazing sport ... filled with cheaters. But also filled with genuine athletes.

Some of my best friends are current or former pro cyclists who I truly believe never touched PEDs. But I also know 45-year-old Cat 4 dudes who have used EPO because they desperately want to stay young, stay competitive or simply upgrade to Cat 3 without putting in the work needed to do so.

Then again, I think you only need to take one look at a college or NFL team to know PEDs are being abused and athletes are cheating in pretty much every sport. Not sure why cycling appears to be so tarnished compared to football, baseball, etc. But it is.

And Lance needs to go before it can get better.

7. Mizzougrad96

A friend of mine who covers cycling did a feature on Lance the first year he won the tour. He interviewed a close family member for the article where he was asking the person about Lance's family life, with the intent on making him look like the cancer-beating God that the American media wanted him to be.

The family member told my friend, "Look, I'll say everything that I know I'm supposed to because that's what everyone wants to hear, but it's so hard to heap superlatives about him as a husband and a father when everyone else knows what a womanizing prick he is."

He's a cheat. It doesn't matter if it's as a husband or as an athlete, but it's nice to see the truth come out, even if it's way too late.

8. Shoeless Joe

I don't recall ever saying that. I'd put the worthy ones in and put it on their plaque that they were caught using ... same goes for gambling.

9. Mizzougrad96

It's on ESPN's front page, but this read to me like ESPN is trying to discredit the SI report. Just my opinion...

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/news/story?id=6035105

10. Shoeless Joe

When he announced the comeback I knew nothing good could come of it. He couldn't win and it would give people the open they needed to dig into the past.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

My apologies, I must have confused you with a different poster

12. Shoeless Joe

No problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted