1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI story about Lance Armstrong. Doesn't look pretty.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jan 18, 2011.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Didn't see it on the first page; figured it would've been. In any case, story hits newstands this week. Here are some excerpts.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/more/01/18/lance.armstrong/index.html?eref=sihp

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Mizzou just sprung a boner and has no idea why.

3. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Jeff Novitzky is involved? Could this bring about the long-awaited return of Creamora?

4. novelist_wannabe

I've long defended Armstrong on the "most-tested-athlete-in-the-world" basis, but at some point preponderance of the evidence kicks in. I think we're about to get there. With Nowitzky on his tail, Armstrong would seem to be in a heap o' trouble.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Now if we could just get Nowitzky on the trail of the NFL refs fixing games for the Steelers... [/trying to get numerous threads locked at once]

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sports would be a better place if Jeff Nowitzky was fired from any association with the U.S. legal system. Inspector Javert to the life. But there are millions of people who get their rocks off on the notion that some person of accomplishment "cheated." As if there was a cyclist that didn't.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Next up: Armstrong selects Peter Gammons for his first post-bust interview, accuses "this lady" Selena Roberts of stalking him.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I was always impressed by his near-deathbed confession.

A cycling insider I chatted with today kinda shrugged this off, but I think an interesting case is being built.

9. novelist_wannabe

I want Nowitzky to investigate Cam Newton. Just sayin'

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For all the hooha ESPN generated when they signed up their heavy hitters for investigations, they've been getting beat by SI pretty regularly.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Sure, cyclists cheat. But they didn't all create "live strong" bracelets, either. And I know very little about this sport. But that is my perception.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It's one thing to cheat, which pretty much all TdF winners have done (at least in the past decade. I follow the sport religiously, so I can say that as a knowledgable fan).

But it's another thing to cheat and then pay off the governing body (which Armstrong so famously did) and point fingers at others repeatedly (another Armstrong tactic) and sic lawyers on anyone who points fingers at you (Armstrong again) and be sponsored by the largest EPO manufacturer (yep, Armstrong) and lie under oath about your involvement with team ownership (you guessed it, Armstrong). I could go on and on, but it's clear that the proof that Armstrong drugged is (Live)strong.

Draft saved Draft deleted