1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI staffer busted trying to influence social media site

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Offered memorabilia and other stuff in exchange for Diggs ...

http://www.businessinsider.com/busted-sports-illustrated-caught-trying-to-get-on-digg-2009-10

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What the hell is Digg?

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

[​IMG]

(Sorry, I've got nothing)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Inky_Wretch

Digg is a social news site. People "digg" stories they like. Higher-rated stories get better positioning on the Web site.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Umm, what's the big deal?
    It is somebody who works in SI's promotions office and he approached someone about what is basically contributing, but they couldn't pay him, just give him free crap.
    Whatever.

In full disclosure news: The first web video I did. I posted a link on my facebook and told everyone to go look at it. I think I even promised sexual favors in exchange. I'm up to 62 views! Oh wait, that still sucks.

6. Inky_Wretch

Jay, gaming the system like that is a no-no.

It's kind of like the old radio station payola schemes were music labels would pay for airtime.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

and I get 15 weeks of Sports Illustrated? Wow!

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No, it's more like record companies dropping off tons of t-shirts and free CDs and other dubious promotional crap. Happens every day.

However, if it helps things move smoothly, I'll support hard time for this fucker because of his attempts to compromise the integrity of Digg.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

It "has some very amusing features." That ought to get people running to the site.

Digg people get all sanctimonious about this "gaming" stuff, but I've never really understood why.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Or, back in the prehistoric days when MTV played music videos, record companies ordering interns to call 1-800-DIAL MTV and request videos by the label's artists.

11. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

The way it was offered was ham-handed at best.

Not the way to start a business relationship.

It reads like a high school kid wrote it, not as a letter of intoduction should read. Yes, I know it was an email.

It's business, not a message board post or Twitter.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sanctimony on the internet is always laughable.

Draft saved Draft deleted