1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI Sportsperson of the Year 2019

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Dec 4, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Schwing!

2. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

The cover isn't "attractive" enough?

Jesus.

Guess Big Mac and Sosa in togas flew off the shelves.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Lazy.
    Very very lazy.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Right choice for SI. Alternatives were Tiger or Belichick, maybe Kawhi Leonard. Tiger and Belichick just aren’t politically feasible for SI, considering the credit they’ll get from twitter for this decision, which is more important to most editors and writers than they ever let on.

Rapinoe’s speech, of course, managed to criticize SI multiple times for not being woke enough in the past or even now:

https://www.si.com/sportsperson/2019/12/10/megan-rapinoe-sportsperson-of-the-year

Imagine being honored like this and taking the opportunity to hold the magazine’s ass to some standard. In a way I admire it. Rapinoe doesn’t need that award. SI gains a reflected glory giving it to her, she recognizes that, and goes ahead and calls them on their shit.

5. CD Boogie

Tiger? Wut? You have to be joking. Winning alone doesn't erase what a shit heel he's always been.

They should have named Trump for all the rounds of golf he's played on the public teet.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

You sure do live in a world of grievance.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

teat

CD Boogie likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It is a small projection of a gland, according to Russia. Sources.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I do, yes. The world is full of grievances all the time. Especially from Rapinoe.

I don’t have many grievances of my own though. I’m terribly lucky. I was born in America, for one thing. I could do a lot worse.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It's not that, although, yes, it certainly would be better if it were more attractive.

But the main thing is, as HanSenSE said, what does it really mean? And, it is a sports magazine, and Rapinoe is a sports figure, so I think I'd at least have had her in her soccer uniform, whatever other "theme" they might have wanted to try to pull off in the cover photo.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It made me think of the Chris Evert cover from (I think) 1976 where she was dressed up like a turn-of-the-century women's tennis player, just in the category of something different. But I don't think Rapinoe's works. Granted, I don't think I'm the audience SI is going after here.

Draft saved Draft deleted