1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI Sportsperson of the Year 2019

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

She wasn’t even a top 4 player for us at the WC. A goal against Thailand, 3 PKs, a cross which unexpectedly went in and one other easy goal.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There might not be a next year.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Rapinoe or they'll chicken out and just do the entire USWNT.

playthrough likes this.
  4. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

It has to be Rapinoe.

I still love Sue Bird's Player's Tribune piece on the World Cup/Rapinoe madness this year: So the President F*cking Hates My Girlfriend | By Sue Bird

Here's the thing: Bird writes about Rapinoe, "smiling her boobs off" when she would do the goal celebrations, and ever since reading that, I've thought, "my God, that's the perfect description." I mean, I know, I know, it's a weird thing, but honestly, every time I see that photo of Rapinoe with that wry smile and arms spread, it's just the perfect description.

Love it.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Rapinoe has to be the pick.
    I'd vote for the Walgreens' fans for booing the Bigot in Chief.
    Or perhaps they owe it to Clay Helton to remind everybody that he was not, in fact, executed, as their Maven reported.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

She was awarded the Golden Ball as the best player in the tournament.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

She shouldn’t have been IMO and I wrote that here at the time. She was late stage Beckham for me, an excellent crosser and free kick/corner kick taker but a couple of steps off of the pace. I tend to agree with much of her politics but she was celebrated more for her persona than what she did during the 90 minutes between the lines.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Give it to Serena Williams and either retire the award or name it after her. She's just so marvelous and has overcome so much with such grace and dignity and is a shining example of Sportsmanship

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Could totally see that. Yet it would be the second USWNT team to win in 20 years, and no one can possibly argue that the '19 team was more of a sensation or cultural force than '99.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Would have been more fitting had Lucy Bronze finished third.

playthrough likes this.
  12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they're now only giving this award out every other year bc, ya know, cutbacks and shit.

poindexter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted