1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI Sportsman of the Year

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 3, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Armando Galarraga the leading candidate?

The guy got jobbed out of a perfect game yet handled it with class. He never said a bad word and didn't even show negative body language. He accepted Jim Joyce's apology with no animosity. His reaction may very well have saved Joyce's career.

Of course Joyce earned forgiveness because of the respect people have for his body of work. He showed humility on his darkest moment.

Usually the award goes to someone who wins with class. In this case perhaps it can go to a guy who lost something with class.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

A great idea, but it'll go to someone who overcame obstacles of his own assholishness, like Kobe or Roethlisraper or Tiger.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Not a big enough name, not a big enough accomplishment and probably too early in the year.

4. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

how about braden, halladay and gallaraga collectively? you could argue that the three perfect games in one year (even with only two officially counting) is a rare piece of history, and the segment devoted to gallaraga would add to the sportsmanship element of the package.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Braden won't get it for running yang with A-Rod a month before...

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

How about we wait and see what happens over the next six months?

7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Just give it to Favre and get it over with.

Seriously, though, I would vote for the Canadian Olympic ice hockey at this point of the year. However, there is a long six months to go.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Quit being a fucking killjoy...

9. "Roethlisraper." I laughed out loud when I read that. That's good stuff!

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

This.

And I agree with the person who said Galarraga isn't a big enough name. If Kobe wins his fifth, I could see him being a frontrunner for it.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

If the Pens had managed to repeat as Stanley Cup champions, Sidney Crosby would be as good a choice as any.

If he leads Chicago to the Cup, Jonathan Toews would be a great choice, although it won't happen because he doesn't have the name recognition. Not only was he part of Canada's gold medal winners in Vancouver, he led the team in scoring and the entire tournament in plus-minus.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

It's freaking June 4 and we're having this thread?

Talk to me in December.

Draft saved Draft deleted