1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI Sportsman of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Dec 4, 2007.

1. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Glad Favre got it, he deserves it.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking in, Dikembe.

3. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Surprised to read the byline -- Alan Shipnuck rather than old board favorite Peter King. At the national level, I don't think any writer has followed Favre more throughout the last 10 or 12 seasons than PeKing. Love him, hate him, whatever, he would have seemed the natural choice for this story. Wonder how Shipnuck wound up with this one.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Realistically, how much of this decision was based on sales?

Lets think: If there's no clear-cut favorite — not even Federer or Tiger was a clear-cu t this year — don't you have the feeling that the SI editors sat there and thought, "Who would sell the most copies right now? A super-rejuvenated Fav-ruh or Peyton Manning in the middle of an average season (for him)?"

This one just reeks of something to me for some reason...

5. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

How about Hank Aaron? That would have been cool.

Here's a link to the year-by-year list, by the way.
    http://encarta.msn.com/media_701500050_761580527_-1_1/Sports_Illustrated_Sportsman_of_the_Year.html

6. Kind of like the BCS settling on Ohio State....

Favre fan but don't like it. I mean, the guy's life is a country song, has been for 15 years, and NOW you give him the award?

Why not the guy I saw on Real Sports who invented HGH? Seriously. Or Bonds. Let's get a realistic view of the sports world, a year that was dominated by all the crap off the field and not the excellence on it.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

There are three factors that determine the SI Sportsman of the Year:
    1. Sales
    2. Who's available to attend the SI Sportsman of the Year banquet/event (and not participating in an overseas tournament that week)
    3. Who had the best year

8. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

I'd have gone with Dungy, but Favre works as well.

9. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

It's nice to see Favre finally get some recognition. It's long overdue.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

How about the student athletes at West Point, Annapolis and Colorado Springs who entered their respective academies 4 years ago as the tragic war breaking out in Iraq. Though incompetently led by the dumbest collection of civilian-military leaders and weak mouthed general officer corps, these young people, in all sports, continue to attend the most rigorous training a scholar athlete can endure. Knowing their classmates have died, are dying and will die to serve a brainless Commander-in-Chief and his puppet master, the President of Vice, the aptly named Dick Cheney, these young men and women continue to serve as examples of true student athletes and self sacrificing Americans.

Would it be too much to ask Sports Illustrated to make a serious selection, rather than some aging millionaire football player having another very good season?

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

With what has been happening in the NFL the past few months (Pacman, Vick, Tank) I think some of these guys would have been a nice choice.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8008593d&template=with-video&confirm=true

Dunn gets the nod from me, though.

http://www.warrickdunnfoundation.org/home.php

12. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

If Federer ever wins the French Open, he'll probably get it then. (or when he retires, whichever comes first)

Draft saved Draft deleted