1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI Sportsman of the Year--Predictions?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Halladay's only one on that list with a shot, and I'd bet against.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Too late for this year, but if he keeps it up, makes a run toward the Super Bowl, starts good next year, he'd be a logical candidate for 2011.

But, SI probably would never let it happen for fear of backlash from the rabid pro-canine crowd.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

yes, those annoying pantywaists opposed to the brutal slaughter of animals just for the entertainment of imbecile thugs.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If a fucking horse gets picked than they should have picked Michael Schumachers car when he was dominating F-1.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Vick would be a very interesting choice. If he ends up winning the MVP this season, it would be one hell of a redemption story.

LeBron has been the biggest story this year, but no way in hell does he win Sportsman of the year.

The Galarraga-Joyce choice would be an inspired one, but it's too good to actually happen.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I really hope it is Galarraga and Joyce. It's a great story and it's worthy of this award.

7. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Galaragga/Joyce confuses the award with a sportsmanship award, which this is not, although sportsmanship can be a factor.

My first thought upon reading the thread title was Brees, for all the reasons that 21 pointed out, minus the cute baby. Because I didn't know about the cute baby. They're trying to sell magazines, it's the NFL and it crosses into Katrinaville in a favorable way. There's just a lot of stuff there.

I get the argument against Zenyatta, but I don't think that's why they wouldn't do it. They'd be too afraid of being accused of making a cheap stunt out of their big annual award.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

They should just stick a mirror on the cover for the real winner ...

YOU THE FAN!

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Agreed. And none bigger than Sidney Crosby, who scored the biggest goal in the biggest game in the biggest sport. If he drops dead tomorrow, he will be forever immortalized for that one moment alone.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Crosby would be good, though I'd feel bad for Farber having to write another story about his fantastic year.

I'll say Apollo Ono, maybe another Olympian or two. They never gave it to Federer did they? Maybe Jimmie Johnson if he takes another title.

Anybody mention Kobe?

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I like Halladay.

What about Manning, wins another MVP, carries team to the super bowl, could be doing it all over again with another group of recievers who seem to come out of nowhere. He is the epitome of consistency and professionalism in the NFL.

I could also see them going with a Jonathan Toews (Olympic hockey MVP, took Blackhawks to cup champions, made hockey relevant in Chicago again) or even Patrick Kane (from punching a cabbie to scoring the cup winning goal and making hockey relevant in Chicago again) or both.

I also like Pacquiao.

Since it is an American magazine, Vonn could very well get it.

Could they go off the board with a guy like Dana White?

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

that's a fair comparison. murdering a person = murdering a dog

guy plays one full season in NFL = one of most exciting players in the league
    Is SI an exclusively Canadian mag now?

Draft saved Draft deleted