1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI Sportsman of the Year: LeBron

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Nice work. Gee does like to fling it, doesn't he?

There has never been any past "policy" of reserving the award for "Olympic paramount" sports in Olympic years. So we can put that argument to rest.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And what he did was move to another team as a free agent, and stage an overly self-aggrandizing interview to announce it.

The bar for villainy is pretty damn low.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Meh. Every other year is an Olympic year since summer and winter diverged.

If an Olympian stands out and does remarkable things, more often than not they will get their due. But to "reserve" the award every other year for these people? Please.

Heck, Chris Evert winning over Nadia Comaneci in 1976 was a bigger farce than anything in recent memory. Too bad SI had to invoke the "we ain't giving the award to no pinko-commie" rule that year.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, let them pinko-commies get their own damn magazine.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Respect the craft, but can't change stations quick enough when catch a glimpse of on of them. Bullshit's bullshit.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

SPORTSMAN[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That would have been my pick.

I don't have a problem with the pick. He won a title and a gold medal in the same year and he'll sell magazines... I don't deny that fairly, or unfairly, he's widely viewed as a villain, but that shouldn't factor for a second in winning the award.

8. heyabbott

If villainy in sports can be defined as being overly narcissistic, self-indulged and hyper-aggrandized with incessant bouts of paranoia and feelings of victimization then LeBron James is Simon Bar Sinister + Snidely Whiplash

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Not after he whined like a little bitch after he lost in the Paralympics.

10. heyabbott

LeBron has been queen of BitchFest for years[​IMG]

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This year he's a champion.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

"Incessant bouts of paranoia and feelings of victimization"? Please explain how so, and with examples. Because, I gotta tell ya, can't say I've noticed that.

I've been cheering against the Lebron Heat myself, but I still do not understand the extreme level of contempt people still maintain toward him. To call much of it irrational and baseless would be understatement. It's like some people are just throwing random insults against the Lebron wall hoping they stick.

Draft saved Draft deleted