1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI Sportsman of the Year: LeBron

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Dec 3, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just announced.

LeBron James.

Pretty predictable.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Re: Sportsman of the Year

Even Dick Morris saw this coming...

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not such a bad choice. I'm glad he won the title. He's a different guy now. No burdens, and his game shows it.

I'd love to read a story on The Rehabilitation of LeBron James. The "Day in the Life" commercials are not great, but not bad, either. The slo-mo smile at the end says it all, really. Masterful ad campaign.

http://instagram.com/p/Sx0BBkxh_U/

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Pathetic and predictable. Not that James isn't an OK choice, but to rate him ahead of Phelps and Bolt in the year they established themselves as two of the greatest Olympic athletes of all time is just wrong. Another triumph for Sports Marketing magazine.
    Why not just call it Athlete Q Score of the Year and be done with it.

5. Songbird

6. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/93874/

7. Songbird

I blame the coffee for my eyes pinballing in their sockets and missing the thread.

Sorry. Mods can delete this.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Actually, "predctable" is giving it to an Olympian in an Olympic year.

Phelps or Bolt in 2008? Fine.

But did either rise above that in 2012? Have any kind of breakthrough? Succeed when millions were champing at the bit to mock failure? Not really.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Duh.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No it isn't.

Plus, LeBron was an Olympian.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Why is it pathetic? James dominated his sport, finally reached the promised land after years of frustrating failure, came through in the clutch in both the NBA finals and the Olympics, turned himself from a villain to a hero. He is clearly the best player in the world in his game -- and elevated himself to another level in 2012 -- and he offers a redemption story as well. He's at least as deserving as Phelps and Bolt.

While it surely was predictable, it's an excellent choice (as Bolt and Phelps would have been as well).

12. Songbird

Not Impressed.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted