1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI Sportsman of the Year ≠ Tiger Woods

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 18, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Re: SI Sportsman of the Year = Tiger Woods

IN: TSP's predictions
    FIVE MINUTES AGO: Another correct sports prediction by TSP
    OUT: BYH's predictions

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Blue font?

oh and for TSP:

IN: Tigers
    FIVE MINUTES AGO: White Sox
    OUT: Indians

Suck it! :D :D :D

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

They love resurrection stories, which gives me a decent guess:

Josh Hamilton

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Keep in mind that SI likes to pick someone who'll move magazines when they put him on the cover, and I don't think Sweet Lou's big ol' boiler would do that. As for Olympians, they'll probably steer clear of track and field types because anyone they pick might test positive the next day. I think Tiger's the prohibitive favorite. It's going to take something truly spectacular to beat him. Gary Smith's probably working on the piece as we speak.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If the Red Sox win the series again and the Pats get off to another fast start, along with the Celtics already crowned, watch SI do some Boston lube job.

I don't necessarily disagree with Tiger as the pick, but I think SI sometimes chooses SOY based on the best story it can get, and I don't know if essentially a U.S. Open rehash six months after the fact is that great. Then again, Tiger on the cover is money (EDIT: as Broadway said). So who knows.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good call, Guy, but only if the Rangers make the playoffs or he wins the Triple Crown. So............no.

Randy Johnson's one ugly sumbitch but they figured out a way to make him look presentable when he and Schilling won it.

There's always something to be done with Photoshop and/or a creative cover.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I am going with Paul Pierce. Brings title 17 to Boston. Was amazing throughout the playoffs. Sticking with crappy teams, toughness, etc.

8. Guy_Incognito

A worse choice than Dwyane Wade, and that's saying something.

9. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

Giants defense.

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Considering that Michael Phelps could very likely equal or match Spitz's 7 golds, not to mention the fact that a mediocre-for-him four wins would give him more than any other Olympian ever (Paavo Nurmi has nine), I think he might be the number one favorite, even if Tiger's feat was mind-boggling.

11. Guy_Incognito

How about Losers - this is the year where the loser was the story (Pats, Lakers, Mediate, Federer) - we'll see if it holds up.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Not a question of ugly or pretty. Some athletes just sell better than others, for whatever reason. I've been told that Brett Favre covers always sell well on the newsstands, for instance (and who was last year's SOY?), and Shaq covers never did. Pierce might work, partly because his story is compelling, like Pope said, and it would be pretty hard to ignore Boston sports in general.

Draft saved Draft deleted