1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI Sportsman of the Year — Who is it?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Satchel Pooch, Nov 20, 2006.

?

Who will be Sports Illustrated's Sportsman of the Year?

1. Roger Federer

25 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Ryan Howard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Italy soccer

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. LeBron James

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. Jimmie Johnson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Tony LaRussa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Jim Leyland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Peyton Manning

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  9. Troy Smith

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Jim Tressel

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  11. Dwyane Wade

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  12. Tiger Woods

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  13. Someone else

9 vote(s)
    18.0%
  1. R-Fed, Troy Smith, Wade, and Woods were the only players on the list who won individual champioships. Italy soccer shouldn't get it because they are an entire team, and none of the coaches should get it because they are coaches. I mean sure if one of them makes an amazing turnaround then goes 11-0 in the playoffs they should deserve consideration, but the only one on that list who almost fell into that category was Leyland whose Tigers got thumped in the World Series after being the best team all season. Coaches don't make plays.

The winner of the 4 just because of his career accomplishment should be Smith. He's the second player in history to go 3-0 vs Michigan (He might go 4-0 vs them), and his Heisman and nat'l title should top it off. But I suppose this issue won't be printed until before the championship.

2. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Nah, you can't count the NC, unfortunately. It's 2007. His 2006 was good enough, though.

What was the deal when JoePa won it? Did he win it in 1986 in advance of Penn State's NC?

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I have the feeling this is a year when they get conceptual (Athletes Who Care from '87).
    Barring that, in a year with no obvious candidate, R-Fed dominated his sport and he;s the guy.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Federer would certainly be a good choice.

Barbaro's doctors, maybe?

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

that's interesting

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Holy shit, you've got the whole thing assigned already.

Only one thing to say to that (all together, now):

YOU'RE HIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The more that I think about it, the more that I bet that it is going to be a gimmick, like "The Caring Athlete". Allows them to include stuff about NO, Dunn, Andre and others. I know that they already did something like this, but unless they name Federer, I just don't see one player that stood out on the field.

Draft saved Draft deleted