1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI Sportsman of the Year — Who is it?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Satchel Pooch, Nov 20, 2006.

?

Who will be Sports Illustrated's Sportsman of the Year?

1. Roger Federer

25 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Ryan Howard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Italy soccer

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. LeBron James

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. Jimmie Johnson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Tony LaRussa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Jim Leyland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Peyton Manning

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  9. Troy Smith

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Jim Tressel

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  11. Dwyane Wade

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  12. Tiger Woods

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  13. Someone else

9 vote(s)
    18.0%
  1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Must be from St. Louis.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Naw, I'm just needling Hoops and his undying devotion to KC. :)

3. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I'd guess that none of the profiles that are already up on SI.com will end up being the choice.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing SI name "The Fan" Sportsman of the Year one of these days.

I know it would come across to some as pandering, and, in reality, it probably really is pandering, but think about it. It seems with every passing year, sports become more and more detached from ordinary fans. Yet without fans, none of these guys, not Federer, not Pujols, not LaRusa, not O'Neill, not anybody, has any relevance in society.

I envision the headline --

2006 Sportsman of the Year: You

Underneath, for cover art, is a 4 inch-by-4 inch piece of reflective material, so when the subscriber picks it up and looks at it, he sees his face.

Around the reflective material is a collage of portraits of various fans. Story package includes a main bar focusing on how sports become less fan friendly every year. Inside the issue are four or five sidebars on people who exemplify what it means to be a fan.

4. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Best post on SJ ever, good job.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Not a bad choice, but a little too inside baseball.

I like the choice of Federer -- but all accounts, he's a class act. I wondered if they would give it to Andre, but Gary Smith already did the definitive piece on him.

Mybe something New Orleans related? Reggie Bush or the Saints? Nah.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Federer. I'm not a tennis fan at all, but he's the Pujols of the sports world in that he's so good, everyone wants to give the MVP-esque honor to someone else. Federer being Swiss shouldn't matter, but it unfortunately does.

Bet Tiger will win it and the photo will be the crying ones from the British Open victory. Wah!

7. 3 folks I'd consider:

Dakoda Dowd
    Jason McElwain (J-Mac)
    Romney Oaks

Better yet, maybe all three...as examples of how kids and teens can carry themselves while facing adversity, and what they can accomplish...

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

After typing Federer in, Daemon's choice seems like a good one to me, too. Federer or Tagliabue would be my top choices.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

My gut reaction picks:

1. Tiger (Lance got SOY at least 2-3 times. El Tigre is a money shot.)
    2. Federer (Dominant on the court.)
    3. Buck O'Neil (Sentimental)
    4. The City of New Orleans (it's an out-of-the box pick, but the folks there would get a nomination before I'll give it to the team and the players.)
    5. J-Mac (the most obvious reason)
    6. Tags (for his tenure as Commish and the state of the NFL)
    7. Lance Armstrong (if SI can't find someone to pick, so he's the default choice.) [/sarcasm]

Tiger, Federer, and New Orleans will be one of SI's picks IMO. Everyone else is who I would rather take, but I don't write nor run SI.

10. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Just clarifying the Lance Armstrong myth. . .

He only got Sportsman of the Year once. In 2002.

He's been the subject of plenty of SI stories. But, as far as I know, he was only Sportsman of the Year once.

In fact, I believe Tiger Woods is the only person to ever be named Sportsman of the Year twice. Not Jordan. Not Ali. Not Nicklaus. Not Armstrong. Just Tiger.

Some other thoughts. . .

Wouldn't be a bad year to give Pat Riley some love: he's never won it, brought a third team to the finals, did it in dramatic fashion (coming out of retirement, yadda, yadda yadda).

In that vein, Shaquille O'Neal wouldn't be a bad choice (along with the obvious choice of Wade).

I don't know that a NASCAR driver has ever won. You'd think that one of these years SI will take that step (Dale Jr. is obvious choice, though I dont know enough about motorsports to know if he deserves it this year any more than previous years).

I realize the following is pretty far outside the box, but John Chaney really wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

1. Jason McElwain
    2. Dwyane Wade
    3. Tiger Woods

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yeah, Riley deserves it for knifing Stan Van Gundy in the back.
    A real sportsman.

Draft saved Draft deleted