1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI rumor: Wolff, Hoffer out, Dr. Z being pushed toward retirement

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Small Town Guy, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

According to the rumors.

http://deadspin.com/5103172/ax-drops-at-sports-illustrated-layoff-rumors-include-hoffer-wolff--and-dr-z

Wolff hasn't written much lately, but I always loved his hoops writing. Hoffer's always solid, boxing especially of course. And the Dr. Z thing??? Geez.

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I think Hoffer and Wolff are brilliant writers, but let's face it, they've been making only rare appearances in the magazine for some time now. The days of keeping guys on staff for a few pieces a year, no matter how good, are pretty much gone unless you're Gary Smith. Better to make them special contributors and pay them by the story.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hoffer has been editing Scorecard for a number of years and didn't Wolff do a lot of the heavy lifting in Beijing? A big loss for the mag to be sure.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I'm pretty sure it's been years since Hoffer edited Scorecard. Wolff did do quite a bit of the Olympic stuff, but other than that he's had very few bylines in recent years. And I'm not faulting those guys for not writing more often. SI has to a large degree phased out the kind of longer, thoughtful pieces that writers like Hoffer and Wolff were so skilled at.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So they can just go and fill out applications at the magazine now hiring writers to do those types of stories.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I can't wait for the Best American Sportswriting pamphlet in 2012.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Gregg Doyell: 15 People I want to Punch In The Face.
    Rick Reilly: How About this Michael Phelps guy? He loves his Mom, check.
    ESPN.com: Hitler references and sports, the good, the bad and the ugly.

8. BuckeyeGA

BuckeyeGA New Member

Also out on the Web side, writers Marty Burns and Pete McEntegart. Both were layoffs.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Too bad. Met Alex a few times during Frost Heaves tryouts and such. Put together a big package when a stringer who played high school hoops went to the tryouts. He'll latch on somewhere no doubt.

BTW, how is Dr. Z?

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Wolff gave a seminar on writing historical features last year that I was able to attend -- had some great stories and insights. His stuff from the hostage tragedy in Munich was outstanding. He's had a smaller role with the paper lately, but he'll be missed. Here's hoping he continues to write elsewhere.

11. sg86

sg86 Member

I think Charlie Leehrsen edits Scorecard now.

Draft saved Draft deleted