1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI report on dogfighting at Vick's house

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Willie-Butch, May 29, 2007.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

You're arguing this as if he needs to be proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. That's true in the courts and why he probably will never be convicted (at least on any major charges), but if he is at least charged with something (which seems to be a matter of when not if) Goodell has all the reason he needs to do something. He's clearly shown he's not hesitant to make disciplinary decisions. I don't know if Vick will be suspended, but if there are some charges, plus the water bottle incident, the flipping off of the fans last year, etc. there is enough of a pattern of poor behavior that I think Goodell could discipline him.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

No Boobie - I am arguing that he needs to be charged with something major. If he is charged but it is some minor charge, I don't think that will be enough.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If he gets charged with anything, he will draw a suspension because he's one of the few players the NFL trusted to be the face of the league. Higher profile means higher stakes. This isn't a young Titans cornerback, nor the No. 3 receiver for the Bengals. This is someone whose image has been used to sell Madden video games and who knows whatever else.

As such, Vick probably will be held to a higher standard than Pacman Jones or Kris Henry.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Right and finally drawing any type of charge after a few months of poor behavior will all Goodell will need. It's clear how little tolerance he has for this type of thing. Also I think the public is turning (has turned) on Vick and Goodell has clearly shown that the public's perception of the league is very important to him. If Vick gets charged I'd be surprised if the Falcons aren't trotting Joey out there at some point.

5. zagoshe

Well none of this matters. Vick has changed his ways and his image and his proof of this is he no longer has corn rows........

I'm not sure what that means, but it really seems like an ignorant thing to say.

I mean, I don't want to start a race war here, but I'm thinking if a white owner said to a black player "you can't have corn rows because we don't want that image for our team" a couple of well-known, well-dressed hucksters and snake oil salesman reverends would go apeshit and then stumble all over each other trying to be the first to picket that owner's house the next day.....

As far as I know, the only people who see corn rows as being a negative stereotype are racists, wannabe gangsters and Whitlock......

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Len Pasquarelli says that two guys says that there's enough evidence to indict Michael Vick, but they says that conviction is tough... so they says tonight while watching American's favorite sideline reporter during NCAA softball

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And a lot of college basketball coaches.

8. boots

boots New Member

Not long ago, some of those coaches thought afros were a form of militancy.

9. I would like to point out here that the "prosecution sources" and the "sources close to the investigation" are operating exactly the same way Mike Nifong did --- to wit, leaking that which they cannot use in court.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This just in -- Airtran has cut Vick loose

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Come on..... his contract was up anyway.... the company is going in the proverbial, different direction.

12. zagoshe

I thought ESPN throwing this in at the end of their story on the Vick saga was silly. His contract expired almost a month ago.

And Fenian is right, which is why I would caution all of those on these threads who are writing Vick's football obituary.

Also, I find it disgusting that these so-called prosecutors are sifting through all this rubble and searching for witnesses to Michael Vick........Um, shouldn't they be searching for more people to prosecute?

Oh, that's right, there is no benefits on election day if you don't catch the big fish.

Draft saved Draft deleted