1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI report on dogfighting at Vick's house

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Willie-Butch, May 29, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That house just screams "Nouveau Riche White Trash" for some reason.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Seriously. Imagine what type of reception he'll get around the league. The real tough decision for fans will be whether they bring a sign about the dog fighting or the water bottle incident. And after seeing his reaction to the HOME fans last year I don't imagine Mikey taking it all that well.

3. Boobie Miles

The thing is I just buy the "can't figure it out" way of thinking. People like to say he's really a good guy and just can't say no or whatever but I think he's just a bad guy, plain and simple. His brother is a complete piece of shit, just not as athletic, so he gets a worse rap. I'm not saying you can judge much from what you see on tv, but he just has a "look" about him that conveys he's not a good dude, IMO. And none of his apologies for anything have ever been accused of having even a hint of genuine feeling in them.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

So you aren't buying his cultural upbringing defense?

5. boots

boots New Member

As long as Mike Vick can out throw and out run most humans, he will be treated special. When those skill diminish, he'll be treated like everyone else.
    People have told this kid for a long time that his shit doesn't stink and he believes it. Perhaps its time that he learned that his shit does stink.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

An aside on this: when Atlanta played in Buffalo a couple of years ago, signs and shirts referencing Ron Mexico were confiscated at the gates, and people who snuck shirts in and put them on in the stands were tossed out of the stadium. Seemed the NFL was trying to protect the reputation of one of its poster-boys. Big stink about it on the local sportstalker - the same station that distributed the "I AM RON MEXICO" signs - for the better part of the next week.

In light of recent events, I wonder if the NFL still feels the same way?

7. Boobie Miles

Is that blue font? I'm assuming it is, but if it isn't there are good people and bad people from all backgrounds. I think Vick's a bad guy period.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

No what I meant was --he -- or at least people close to him in that story -- claim he's country and grew up in a dog fighting culture but he really loves dogs and because of his upbringing doesn't see anything wrong with dogfighting.

Are you saying this defense doesn't work for you?

9. Boobie Miles

I wasn't basing it solely on this. I don't think he's a good person based on a growing record both in the courts and just in terms of plain old ugly behavior. And like I said, I just don't get the impression that he's a good guy.

As for dogfighting being a part of the culture, that is a legitimate part of the story, but at the same time it's still a disgusting act and is illegal. I don't know about Vick's background specifically but many people grow up in environments where people are killed everyday. Just because they grow up around it, it doesn't make murder any more acceptable.

10. IU90

IU90 Member

To clarify a misconception, Michael Vick did NOT grow up country in the way that's been implied. He grew up in Newport News, smack in the middle of the Norfolk/Hampton/NN/Pourtsmouth Metropolitan area, which is actually one of the 35 or so largest combined metro areas in the the nation (and has also produced the likes of Allen Iverson, Alonzo Mourning, and quite many other current pro athletes). NN is definately NOT out in the sticks like I've seen some imply, indeed it has a more urban than country feel to it.

The excuse that Vick was just some country boy from the sticks where they don't know any better is bullshit.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Thought the same exact Gat damned thing. Nice bass boat in the side yard. Shoe endorsement deal couldnt buy storage?

12. boots

boots New Member

This just in:
    Two law enforcement officials familiar with the investigation have told ESPN.com they believe there is sufficient evidence to indict Michael Vick in connection with a suspected dogfighting ring that was run on property the Falcons quarterback owned in Virginia.

The sources, however, cautioned this week that, based on the current evidence, it might be difficult to successfully prosecute Vick, who has denied knowledge of dogfighting at the property in Surry County.

"There is probably enough there to bring a bill [of indictment]," said one source, "but how some of [the evidence] would play out at trial, or if it even reached a trial ... I just don't know. These kinds of prosecutions are tough. There are some holes, definitely, and that's why [investigators] are digging for more information. You want more than just smoke. You're always looking for the smoking gun.

"I mean, what you think you know and what you know you know, and what you can prove to other people you know ... well, they aren't always the same. But this is a fluid thing, so we'll see where it goes."

Draft saved Draft deleted