1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI Redesign

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illino, Aug 17, 2011.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

They still have Hot and Not...just in a sillier format...not a big fan of that one.

I like some of the tidbits, but Scorecard usually handles those needs for me...I don't need the other fluff

2. webo

webo New Member

I said that they got rid of the indecipherable chart. That had to be one of the most ridiculous things SI has ever run. I think they realized it fairly quickly, because I don't think it even lasted a year.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It gets me something to which I can look forward.

Only the grammar freaks will care too much though.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

We grammar freaks long ago lightened rules on ending sentences with prepositions.

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I just spent 35 minutes on the phone with SI changing my subscription to digital only. I swear it was like I was the first person who have ever attempted this. They were thoroughly flummoxed.

Finally did it and it will save me about 50 percent of what I was paying, not to mention saving space in the old recycle bin.

6. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Not a fan of the redesign. It looks busier, and the editorial content is a little more difficult to distinguish from the ad content when you're thumbing through it.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

More surprised that they didn't waste a page explaining the redesign. Looks like they dropped the text size down a smidge and cut down on the white space.
    First noticed it with the college football preview issue.

8. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

All the thick, bold rules and tall, horizontally squeezed heads make the story text look cramped. I wonder if the newsholes are a little smaller as a result. Look at the first page of the Pat Summitt Scorecard page. Does "SCORECARD" really need to be gajillion-point, with a big margin above and a wide, blocky shadow box under it? Not sure what that accomplishes, other than dominating the story text.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted