1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI Redesign

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illino, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Illino

Illino Member

I was thumbing through my SI this afternoon, and I noticed they have redesigned the entire front section of the magazine. I personally like the changes other than that they mostly eliminated the red color with black. I like the black, but I think the color helped the pages pop. Otherwise, I think the design shape changes give the magazine a more modern feel.

2. ringer

ringer Active Member

Yeah, it looks like there's more text now. (Although it could be an illusion)

I don't know why they bother redesigning it so much.

3. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

Thanks for the heads-up. I don't usually get mine until Thursday so it gives me something to look forward to.

Yes, I know it's bad to end a sentence with a preposition but who says "to which to look forward"?

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, I get mine on Thursdays, too. Seems like they tweak the look every couple years, so it's about due for some minor changes. I'll plan a late night with my mag and a Dr. Pepper tomorrow :)

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

By the way, I just downloaded the SI iPad app. It's sweet. Great way to read the mag.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Yawn. No one resdesigns as often as SI.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

True. The last New Yorker redesign was what, never?

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. Did nothing for me.

9. I'm continually amazed they devote a page to Dan Patrick, who simply recycles his radio material.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I never listen to his radio show (or any radio show), and actually enjoy that page for a quick read. Certainly, it beats Reilly.

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

This...it was like a trade between SI (Rick Reilly) and ESPN (Dan Patrick) and both new places turned out the worse for it. Yes, if you listed to his radio show, you've read his page. Silly.

12. webo

webo New Member

I'm in favor of some of the changes -- such as eliminating the lowest-common-denominator Pop Culture Grid and that nonsensical hot-and-not chart that was darned near impossible to decipher -- but the magazine is still nowhere near its peak days of the 1970s and 1980s. Just too much garbage in it and not enough great writing.

Draft saved Draft deleted