1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI redesign

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I Digress, Apr 22, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Do they have arrows pointing to the corner of the page so people know where to grab on before turning?

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Me too. It's not what it used to be.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'm used to flipping straight to the back for the "inside" sections. Now they'll just trot out Sidd Finch there or some other "classic" stories. Nothing like making a selling point out of the fact that your best work appeared 20 years ago ...

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So what's the page count this week?

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Does this redesign and newly-nuanced coverage mean they have finally done away with having writers insert themselves into their own stories? I'm all for that!

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Same here. I often start flipping through it while standing in the kitchen and read the whole damn thing before my legs get tired. Used to always have to go sit down, since I knew it'd take me a while to get through the rest of it.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I like that they have eliminated a lot of ads. It's easier to get to the stories without the clutter.

8. My local paper, which has dramatically sliced its news hole in the past year, does this twice weekly ... once in sports and once in the local section. Always drives me nuts that half a page (at minimum) is dedicated to reprinting a story from 20 years ago, and the reprint typically has no correlation with a current event. So, in sports for example, what used to be a six- or eight-page section is now two, and half a page is dedicated once a week to some cross country race recap and oversized photo from 1979. Fantastic.

Why do some editors suck so bad?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It takes less time to read than my local paper... did Golf Plus get cut out altogether and I've missed it?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Golf Plus was in my SI.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well fuckity fuck fuck fuck.

EDIT: I tried signing up for it again; message said I was currently receiving Fantasy Plus. Did spnited hear the scream from where he is?

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

One thing that hasn't changed: Nebulous corrections. This week's clarifies that a quote attributed to an ESPN VP wasn't from him, noting that nobody from ESPN would comment for the story. OK, so who said it? Somebody had to, right?

Somebody at SI got some research that red type really pops out, and that guy has some pull.

I like that the editor claims the most "obvious" change is that "Leading Off" -- patently lifted from ESPN The Mag -- is going from three two-page photos to four. Wow, that radical change just blew me away ...

Draft saved Draft deleted