1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI Readers Cancel Subscriptions En Masse Over 'Ghetto' Swimsuit Issue

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Feb 27, 2007.

1. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Beyonce is beautiful and belongs in SI for her nice body. Kanye shouldn't be in it but I don't have a problem with him being in it. It is time for this country to be less sensitive and more responsible.

2. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

MediaTakeOut.com has learned that Sports Illustrated is facing a backlash over its new Swimsuit Edition. According to reports, a number of models are privately upset that Beyonce, a singer, was chosen as this year's cover girl.

And the tension appears to be growing. An insider at a prominent New York modeling agency told MediaTakeOut.com exactly how she felt about the decision. She explained, "The cover spot is supposed to go to the top model in the industry. This year it went Beyonce. It's an insult ... There isn't a model alive that doesn’t find [Sports Illustrated's] choice offensive."

And it's not just angry supermodels that the magazine has to contend with. Some Sports Illustrated readers are also upset with the new issue. But these readers aren't just upset with Beyonce - they're upset with the number of Black artists featured in the magazine. The new issue, which also features Kanye West and Cee-Lo from Gnarls Barkley, is being referred to on sports message boards as the "Ghetto issue."

And those angry readers are taking their complaints directly to the magazine. Tells one magazine employee, "The calls are nonstop ... ”

So far Sports Illustrated has refused to comment on this brewing controversy.

Developing...

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Oh, well that post was just full of facts and credible sources.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Exactly. It's just seeping with credibility.

There's only one problem D_B....that wasn't the "backlash" from your original post. Your original post was a problem with it being a "ghetto" issue. And if a modeling agency is pissed at SI for not using a model, you really think the editors are going to give a swut? It's not like models are their target demographic.

5. Deeper_Background

Maybe SI was counting on a backlash for extra publicity and when that didn't materialize, they are playing the 'ghetto cancellation' angle.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Hey, idiot? SI isn't playing anything. You see any quotes from anyone at SI who doesn't work in the mailroom?

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Or maybe SI is trying to divert attention away from the fact that they found the weapons of mass destruction that Bush failed to find. As it turns out, they were hiding in Steve Rushin's bottom drawer of his desk.

According to a mail room source....

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The real problem with this year's issue?
    A serious decline in nipple shots.
    Remember the good old days, when Cheryl Tiegs, Elle Macpherson or Paulina Porizkova would wear a fishnet or wet, white suit for the benefit of horny teenage boys unable to get their hands on a Playboy? Other than the body painting shots -- which don't count anyway, since the nipples are, at best, vague outlines -- I didn't see a single nipple or areola in this year's issue. It's a trend that's been continuing for several years now, and I'll stand for it no longer.
    Who will join me in the streets outside the Time Life building shouting "No nipples, no subscribers!"? If nothing else, do it for the kids, dammit!

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Yes, the 42 million swimsuit hits on the website that first week were deemed insufficient, so SI marketing began leaking disinformation to blogs and conspiracy theorists. Which, like single men who live in their parent's basement and the morbidly dull, are groups with considerable overlap.

Shhhhh. I have to scoot back to the mailroom before that infrared surveillance coffeemaker rats me out. Developing....

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Well, an anonymous source with ACTUAL information and insight is OK ... but a mailroom worker and a local journalist. Chalk sources, they are, I'm sure.

11. Deeper_Background

The nipples are pretty 'out there' in some of the body painting outtakes, IMO

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

d_b, for all the crap you spew, you do get points for having Lee Ermey in your sidesaddle.

Draft saved Draft deleted