1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI pic and caption

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DocTalk, Apr 22, 2011.

1. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Finally looking at this week's SI and appreciated the photo of the Alabama spring football game. Caption says that there was record attendance of 92K + but the stands look empty in the pic. Was anybody there that could explain?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The stadium holds 101K-plus, so there probably were empty seats. A lot of fans who have seats in the upper deck often stand on the spiral ramp for a better view.

Also, there might have been 92,000 at kickoff, but not by the time the second half began.

3. What SS said.

4. Quakes

Quakes Guest

I had the same reaction as DocTalk. This is the picture (although the one in the magazine extends further to the left, past No. 10). Did about 75,000 of those 92,000 leave at halftime?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Based on some statements in a different thread and the inference I can draw from the photo, I would say that if there were 92,000-plus people who "attended," then they did so long enough to get credit for showing up and then split.

Draft saved Draft deleted