1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI on Rush

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Writer33, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Writer33

Writer33 Member

Maybe it's nitpicking but was reading SI's story about Ron Howard's movie "Rush" and noticed the writer referred to Niki Lauda as "German." Lauda is Austrian. Just asked them. There is a difference.

2. boxingnut4324

boxingnut4324 Member

I don't think it's nitpicking. When I see something like that in a story I instantly turn the page. I immediately assume that everything is wrong even if it isn't.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I thought this would be something about that Duck Dynasty guy. Carry on.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought that were revisiting the Rush Limbaugh-Donovan McNabb controversy, and how it turned out Rush might have been correct about McNabb being overrated.
    Either that or mediocre Canadian rock bands that an unhealthy segment of the SJ populace adores.
    The movie "Rush" was well down the list of topics here.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

A single factual error in an article is worth a thread now?

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Situation no win.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The Hollywood media is desirous that a white filmmaker do well... ah, never mind, I got nothin'. :)

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

You'd have fit right into the legal system, where one lie can entirely invalidate a witness' testimony. But one factual error rendering a whole article worthless -- the rest of the content, its style as well as its substance? Seems awfully extreme.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Love that song.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This reminds me of when I tried to read When Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman by Jon Krakauer.

Early on, Krakauer wrote that the Rose Bowl was played in Anaheim. I couldn't read any more.

Considering all that goes into publishing a book, how the hell does that not get caught by the several people that read through it, and how did Krakauer not know where the Rose Bowl is played?

Considering the subject matter and what Krakauer goes on to present about Bush, the Army and the Tillman family, how can you believe anything in the book? If he can't get the site of the Rose Bowl right, I don't have much confidence in any other facts he presents.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Indiana Jones likes the Austrian way better.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Because when you grow up in Corvallis your hometown team has never played there? ;D

(Well actually they did when Krakauer was in elementary school).

Draft saved Draft deleted