1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI on JaMarcus Russell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

In the second paragraph they talk about how teams aren't excited about the draft, but that some teams are perhaps "Fanning for Manning" for the 1998 draft.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Ms. Lippy! Did he write 3-4 haircuts per week?

3.5 haircuts x $10 = $35 per week + tip (let's say $5 total). That's $40 a week x 52 weeks - that's $2,080 a year on haircuts. And that was lowballing.

If he actually goes 4 times a week, and pays a more reasonable amount like $15 for a haircut and tip we're talking $3,100 a year on haircuts!

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

He didn't steal the money. Al Davis fucked up.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I feel like JaMarcus Russell gets his haircuts for free. Or, at least, he used to back when he had money.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fucking perfect. I hope someone on this board met and married you, cause you're a keeper. :D

Seriously, 31 other teams probably realized Russell was a bad investment. He ended up with the one guy too senile to know any better. Good for Russell. He clearly has a ton of faults, but he seems smart enough to know that he's got to live comfortably on the money he's already made for the rest of his life. With no kids and no ex-wives to feed at age 26, he's way ahead of the game (hello, Travis Henry). I'm with Old Tony: If he comes back, I'll root for him. But I wouldn't expect that to happen.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Except Browns GM Phil Savage all but said he would've taken him first.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That was an awful quarterback draft. Just awful. And the Raiders needed a quarterback. I guess they could have picked Calvin Johnson, but who would have thrown to him? Best option would have been to trade down, probably.

8. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Still doesn't change the fact that Al Davis fucked up and JaMarcus didn't steal.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

The smart move that year was taking Thomas. I don't know anyone who thought it was even a possibility that he busted. Problem was, taking Thomas was an admission of failure on Robert Gallery, which I'm sure Al wasn't willing to admit at the time. Plus, you can't have that much money wrapped up in your two tackles.

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Not denying he fucked up. But it's not like Al took Tim Tebow with the first pick. Other people were as enamored with Russell as Al was.

There are dumb moves that aren't defensible (taking Heyward-Bay or Michael Mitchell) and there are moves that are dumb but defensible (Russell).

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What if they took Brady Quinn? Bad quarterback, but no Drank drama? Wonder if we think of the selection the same way we do now with Russell.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

You know better than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted