1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI on 1989 Upper Deck Griffey rookie card

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 25, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think we can agree Ryne Sandberg doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as Nolan Ryan and Robin Yount. [/I was just placed on iggy by Cadet]

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Is it just me or is Griffey completely unimpressed by anything? It seems like every single thing you ask him causes him to shrug his shoulders in disinterest.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

It's not just you. He's always been like that. He thinks he's playing it cool.

4. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I used to collect basketball trading cards, and had something like 800 or so before I finally stopped. Not sure where they're at now. I'll probably have to dig through the storage sometime.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sorry, it ran with the story in the magazine, but not in the electronic version ...

[​IMG]

6. Steak Snabler

That's true. But Upper Deck coming onto the scene forced everyone else to change the way they did things in order to keep up.

Along with the added expense of a better paper stock (the cost of which they just passed along to the customer), you also had disingenuous practices such as intentional "error" cards that created a market where card values would spike radically. As with any hobby, once it became flooded by speculators rather than hardcore fans, who viewed the cards as an "investment" rather than a pastime, card-collecting got bastardized somewhere around 1989-90 and I lost interest pretty quick.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I have one of these rookie cards still. Yet, I also have a Michael Jordan baseball card as well.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It wasn't just SI on the card . . .it was "Luke Winn," as we were reminded by the use of "I" and "such-and-such tells me." More "Look at ME!" journalism from SI. Happening every issue at this point . . . no shit, the reporter's there.

Never got into baseball cards. You buy a comic book, it has a story that might be part of a larger whole. You get a baseball card, it has some numbers on the back. Must note here that comic book collecting became just as bastardized and cynical in the 1990s.

The opening to the article did a good job of making the point, without saying it, of just how cheesy the card collecting business got. "Insert" cards? "Hey, kids! Get a small scrap of a game-worn JERSEY! Whooo!"

Where did they get that idea, from the Catholics and their little "Here's a scrap of St. Dominic Savio's shirt!" medals?

Embarrassing. "Upper Deck" is right.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

"Do not bang on the glass please! It contains a rare Mary Worth, in which she advises (someon) to have an abortion!"

Or some such.

Your love for the minutiae of baseball matches mine for the minutiae of old-school X-Men and GI Joe comics.

Sadly, neither set of knowledge ever got a man laid.

Trust me, I tried.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

[​IMG]

11. Steak Snabler

That's one. I remember this one as well ...

[​IMG]

12. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Ahh the good ol reverse negative.

How about NNOF.

[​IMG]

I collected a lot around 1989, but never got my hands on No. 1. Plenty of No. 453 and 75 (commons), but never Griffey. I still buy packs every now and then but I have mostly moved on to autographs. They retain their value better and much easier on the wallet if you know what you are doing.

Draft saved Draft deleted