1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI on 1989 Upper Deck Griffey rookie card

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Hope this isn't a d_b, but I finally got around to reading this yesterday and thought it was an interesting story. I remember this card distinctly and what a sensation it was. It was also the main reason I got out of collecting cards, because Upper Deck's emergence ultimately made the hobby too expensive for me.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1159241/index.htm

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Steak, I too quit collecting baseball cards because of Upper Deck. That company changed the hobby for the worse. I haven't bought a pack of cards in years, but I will occasionally buy my son one.

Baseball-card collecting used to be a ton of fun too. Get a Topps wax pack, throw away the pink cardboard and rejoice when you found a Bo Jackson. Or buying Donruss' paper-thin cards just to get the puzzle. Or reading the Fleer cards the hour before I'd go to Royals Stadium to see the scouting reports on "where he likes em."

Good times. Sad ending.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I sold as many of those Griffey cards as I could when the value was at $100. I sold them for $50-$60 apiece and probably still have 50 left buried in a box somewhere.

I won't blame Upper Deck for ruining the hobby. The subsets and the insert cards did that and all of the companies participated in that.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Very interesting story. I remember that card too, that was the heart of my collecting days but the beginning of the end of me caring too much. At that age I understood a mid-'50s Mantle card selling for a mint, but the Griffey card pissed me off. So I stuck to my Topps cards of that era, which today I could probably sell and get enougy money for a free lunch at Applebee's.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I sold a few baseball cards at a garage sale last weekend. Lot of commons but I sprinkled in some Nolan Ryans, Robin Younts and Ryne Sandbergs. Got $5 for everything. Whee.

6. Mizzougrad96

Great article... I'm glad Topps will be the winner in the baseball card war since that's the one that's been around non-stop since 1951. Hopefully, with a lack of competition, Topps can go back and start doing it right like they did in the late 1970s and 1980s.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

Good Heavens.

You just put Robin Yount and Ryne Sandberg in the same sentence as Nolan Ryan.

That's like finding two turds in a glorious box of Fruity Pebbles.

8. Mizzougrad96

True... Robin Yount was a much better player than Sandberg or Nolan Ryan.

9. jsouva

jsouva New Member

anyone have a picture of this card?

10. jsouva

jsouva New Member

never mind, found it with a simple google search, ha

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Really, a .285 average and 251 HRs is a "much better player" than seven no-hitters, 324 wins and 5,714 strikeouts? That's just silly.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Oh for fuck's sake, let's not get into a pissing match over Nolan Ryan vs. Robin Yount. I included all three of them because they are all HOFers.

Draft saved Draft deleted