1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI is down to just 38 issues this year

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 16, 2017.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

It was late August, 2016. People who were anonymous in life had become famous in death. Philando Castile. Eric Garner. Alton Sterling. Freddie Gray.

That was about two years after Garner died.

Some of the letters about people canceling their subscriptions after this issue should be good, like the sanctimonious asswipes who write to cancel their subscriptions after the swimsuit issue. They've only been doing that issue for about three decades. I think at least in the last few years they give subscribers the option of not receiving the swimsuit issue. But it was always fun to read the letters of those who were so deeply offended.

2. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Honest question: has Colin Kaepernick actually done anything in 2017? Has he made any public statements? Appeared at any rallies or protests? Given his public support to any causes? People have spoken on his behalf, including his girlfriend, his supporters, NFL players, and his attorneys, but what has he actually done? That SI article is all about him, but they don't actually talk to him.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

He got rejected by the Ravens when his gf decided to pipe up and make herself look like a pompous ass. Kaep might have gotten nailed by guilt by association with his gf on that one.

A further twist along the lines of what you're asking: how much of this "movement" has been Kaep, and how much has it actually been his gf behind the curtain pulling the strings?

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

He's done enough to win this

Colin Kaepernick honored with ACLU award - CNN

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I didn't know until a few days ago that the idea he would "stand for the anthem if he was signed by a team" has never been backed up by anyone.

6. DanOregon

Watt, Altuve named SI's Sportspersons of Year

I really like this pick. It contrasts nicely with the Kaepernick Ali award and is kind of a throwback to the year Stargell and Bradshaw shared the honor.

Still would have been nice to see Federer's career get its due.

7. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

See, that's interesting. It's the only (or one of the only) public statements he's made all year, and it's very generic. But when the NFL and players were negotiating the $89 million to go to social justice causes, Kaepernick never said a word, and didn't show up to the meetings.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, but at least there was a nice Roger-Rafa friendly rivalry story.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Change the thread title. According to the December 25 issue SI is going to cut to 26 issues next year. About 10 will be special editions like previews, swimsuits, etc. The editor presented it something that the readers wanted. The readers have not had time to read the almost weekly versions and the reduced schedule will give them extra time. My god, what ludicrous corporate speak. i

The most incredible thing to me is not the reduced schedule but that this issue was released a couple days ago and no one posted earlier.

10. AD

AD Active Member

if it's not on-line, it doesn't exist. believe me, even journalists aren't reading print much, anymore.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'm four issues behind, which I plan to catch up on flying today, so I haven't seen that yet. My biggest fear is I miss one that doesn't arrive for whatever reason, which happens about once a year

12. DanOregon

I had to read one digitally on the Vault. They really do a nice job with that. Still prefer the print copy for the gym. I'm just getting into the NFL preview issue - funny reading some of their predictions.

Draft saved Draft deleted