1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI is down to just 38 issues this year

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 16, 2017.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Haha. That's the funny thing, I managed to the cut the cord last year and the landline phone is long gone. But I'm still getting a print SI, which this week misspelled Tony Gwynn's name. Issue before that, it was Warren "Buffet" and Jimmy "Buffet." Sheesh, I didn't even get an SI fleece to justify this mediocrity.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Bedard thing was weird. One of the first hires at MMQB, then to SI, then poof.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

You can do this. Call customer service at 1- (877) 747-1045. Tell them to take a hike. You'll feel like a puppy on a bed of flower petals.

5. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

And Chad Finn said on Deitsch's podcast that Bedard said he sunk his entire life savings into this...

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Something I don't understand about the SI print cutback:

Will there also be a cutback in online content? Because it seems like the 24-7-365 web operation should be feeding print at this point, particularly with a weekly.

Good luck to all the new outlets. But if Greg Bedard doesn't know more than a little about venture capital, how will Boston Sports Journal survive? It doesn't seem logical to expect subscribers to pay salaries, production costs, etc. in full.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

well, if any sports town can support this kind of rabid navel-gazing, it's the town that gave us Bill Simmons and Barstool Sports. I like the fact he's giving people the first week free. Good move.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yikes. Not what I'd consider a wise investment. Hope he makes a go of it, though.

9. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Received a renewal reminder in my email--$20 for 50 issues,* which they (apparently falsely) claim is the equivalent of one year. Nonetheless, still a pretty good rate for a per issue price and I'll probably re-up, even if I usually only skim it.

*Or $40 for 100, or $60 for 150.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I, too, will probably still be getting SI when it is a four-page quarterly. And if they want long-time guys like me to keep subscribing give us better fucking swag. How about a helmet phone? How many fleeces and shitty, ill-fitting jackets do you need???

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Holy hell. I've been a subscriber since about 1996. I knew something was up when I looked at the NHL "preview" and it was six or eight pages, and pretty much a feature story plus two sidebars. How sad.

Draft saved Draft deleted