1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI is down to just 38 issues this year

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 16, 2017.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I will never validate that guy's self absortion self righteousness..

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's hit or miss for me. Ya don't necessarily have to agree with what his characters are saying (and saying and saying) to enjoy the banter.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Per Moddy's Twitter feed, this week's cover touts Russell Westbrook as the "Most Fashionable Athlete." And why do I fear more covers/stories like this are on the way?

4. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

I love Aaron Sorkin, but, yeah, this was pretty terrible. It hurt that they insisted on showing the actual sketches, which were awful, notwithstanding that Matthew Perry's character was supposed to be a comedic genius. A Gilbert & Sullivan parody, how clever and cultured!!

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's never good for a show to peak before the opening credits of the first episode, which Studio 60 did.

6. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Liked West Wing and Sports Night (although both at times suffered from those issues) ,but I generally much prefer his movie writing--for the most part, a lot less preach-y.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

To be fair to SI - magazines have been selling out for thirty years. Women's mags sell their "beauty credits" whether the products on the shot in question were actually used or not. Always found it curious to see full page ads for books SI excerpted a couple weeks prior.
    Local news papers started selling A1s, first the bottoms, then spadeas - and honestly, is it that much different than going to a website and getting a pop-up ad on the home page? I'm not arguing that it is good - just that publishers will sell their kids if it would help the bottom line and only have principles and ethics, when they can afford to have principles and ethics.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this. The show told us over and over that they were brilliant and were saving the show. Then they showed the sketches and they were just painfully, embarrassingly unfunny.

They brought in Mark McKinney of "Kids in the Hall" and "SNL" on the writing staff to try to fix the sketches but at that point the show was already in its death throes.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I should cancel SI but I'll be one of those subscribers that's still around when it's a quarterly pamphlet. It's just been coming too long to my mailbox.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I bet you still have cable TV and a landline telephone! :eek:

11. AD

AD Active Member

Greg Bedard, from his statement on starting Boston Sports Journal, with a not-so-veiled commentary on Time Inc./SI:

"Why now? Well, after being laid off at SI, I looked at the landscape, mulled over a few opportunities and decided three things: 1) I no longer wanted to work for people who didn’t have a plan for the future; 2) I wasn’t going to work for people who didn’t know what consumers really wanted on a daily basis; and 3) I didn’t want to work for people who knew more about venture capital than journalism."

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with him, but it's going to suck for him if this doesn't work out and he needs to look for a job.

Draft saved Draft deleted