1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI is down to just 38 issues this year

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

SI will continue giving away the prime parts of its magazine product for free on the Internet. What's the point of printing a magazine at all?

flexmaster33, Doc Holliday and wicked like this.
  3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I paid for a certain number of issues already. I don't know what that number is. If they catalog subscriptions by time and not by number of issues mailed it would be really easy for them to screw me.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

In many cases, archived material isn't as valuable; the news has happened. Their Vault, though, they should be charging people out the ass to read the stuff. Pretty sure you've said that in the past, so it's not an original thought on my end.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The last couple regular issues I received checked in at around 60 pages. Not sure how this compares to years past, but it sure seems thinner.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Wait for February.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The pages will be even fewer then because they'll all stick together.

steveu, studthug12, Huggy and 4 others like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Subscriptions are based on issues right? I know they have the month and date on the subscription label - but when you subscribe they always talk about "locking in the rate" per issue. I am surprised there has been so little communication about this to their subscribers. First noticed it earlier this year when I thought I didn't get an issue and called. The customer service rep just said they "didn't put out an issue that week." No notice, no editor's note in the previous issue. No letter to subscribers explaining things.
    I understand the situation - but a letter to subscribers letting them know their subs have been extended would be the professional thing to do.

JimmyHoward33 and Vombatus like this.
  9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Sad. This magazine was once the pinnacle of sports journalism. Now it's doomed. I cut my subscription years ago, about a week after Rick Reilly left. Haven't missed it.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There's still good stuff in it.

I just don't know why SI gives away its content. Staples, for example, has good stuff online that I haven't seen in the mag. Why give it away?

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Oh I agree, there is still quality within its content. And, yes, giving your content away online is foolish.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

As a subscriber as well, they do tell you with the tiny font of Double Issue the week prior. They expect you to figure it out yourself.

Draft saved Draft deleted